Just a quick question after watching your webinar "Your guide to statutory sick pay and furloughed employees" on Thursday 9th April I have a query on the standard payroll . I understand that i will have to add a new category under "other payments" and call it furloughed monthly salary (or something similar), the thing I dont understand is what figure (salary) to put in the boxes. After watching your webinar they were entering 80% of the salary which I do understand this bit, but as a company we intend to make up the extra 20% ourselves.
What figure do I put in the box? Will this be 100% of their salary or 80%. I do know that 80% can only be claimed directly from HMRC when this is up and running , but surely if I pay them 100% all NI figures will be wrong.
Or do I enter 80% furloughed amount of salary and then do 20% their normal salary???? Can someone please help - thank you
I appreciate you for watching the webinar last April 9 about paying furloughed employees in QuickBooks Online Standard Payroll, @Dawn Robinson. Rest assured that I've got more insights about this, and how to take care of this issue.
Businesses, like yours, must pay your employees at least 80% of your employees' usual gross wage. You can elect to top up the remaining 20% of their earnings, but you're not obliged to do so. With this, I'd suggest consulting your accountant to help you determine the correct amount to enter in the box. They can check your NI figures when the payment setup is 100%. They can also verify if you'll need to enter 80% as the furloughed amount and add the 20% as their normal salary. This way, your payroll details will be accurate before you can claim for the wages costs from the HMRC. For more information, see the How much should I pay my Employees? section through this article: COVID-19: Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.
Additionally, I recommend visiting this website: HMRC Guide. It has in-depth details about eligibility, before, during, and after the claiming process.
Please know that I'm always here to help if you need anything else. Keep safe always, @Dawn Robinson.
thank you for your response much appreciated. I have looked further into this and you will need to enter the following in order for NI to be correct. I've also tried the payrun as 100% to see what the NI contributions come out as - they are both the same.
create new payroll payment type (call it Furloughed Salary for example)
you will need to enter figures manually for above @ 80% of main salary. if you as a company intend to pay the remaining 20% to employees you will have to enter the remaining amount under salary. When viewed in draft it shows the two amounts on the employees wageslip.
Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type.
We have to collect some data when you use this website so it works and is secure. We'd also like your consent to collect data to study how people use our site. Doing so helps us improve our services and allows us to tailor the marketing you see on our site. Select 'Accept all' to agree or 'Manage consents' to choose which cookies we use. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the 'Manage Cookies' link.
Choose your cookie preferences
Some cookies are needed to make our website work and can't be turned off. But we need your consent to use others that are not essential. You can make your choices below and update them at any time using the 'Manage Cookies' link. To find out more, visit our Cookies Policy.
These cookies are necessary for the site to function. They also help us keep your data safe.
These cookies allow us to enhance your experience and remember your preferences, region or country, language, and accessibility options.
These cookies tell us how customers use our website. We study and organize this data to help us optimise our content and provide you with personalised experiences.
These cookies help us provide you with relevant communications and ads in our products and on other sites.