cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Sending PDF invoice from QuickBooks Self Employed

Hello!

I've just started up with Quick Books Self-Employed and am finding the invoicing process a little inflexible. From what I can tell, using the "Send invoice" functionality sends an email the customer which contains a link they have to click. When using this on a phone, the customer is then sent to the QB website where there is yet another link to click in order to open the full invoice. This isn't a great customer experience! Also, the email arrives in the (phone) inbox with a sub-heading of "QB Self-Employed Welcome Email" which isn't ideal - anyone know if I can change this somewhere?

Because of all this, I decided that I'd rather download the PDF myself and email it to the customer - painful for me, but less annoying for customer. But now I've realised that there is some workflow which means I can't mark the invoice as paid if it hasn't been sent from QB!

Being a little cynical, I guess I'm getting what I paid for and no doubt there is better functionality in a more expensive version of QB, but I was hoping someone could confirm my understanding above before I give up and look for an alternative! Many thanks.

Jo

3 REPLIES 3
QuickBooks Team

Re: Sending PDF invoice from QuickBooks Self Employed

Hello there, @TBW1

The program is a cloud-based system and we value data security thus it requires your customer to click many links to open the full invoice. This is only happening when using QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE) on the phone. 

If you're using QBSE on the browser, the full invoice will automatically pops-up when your customer clicks View Invoice. Please see the screenshot below to serve as your visual guide. 

Please know that I'm listening to your comments about the sub-heading of "QB Self-Employed Welcome Email" when your customer received the invoice email. There's no currently an option to change the sub-heading name.

If you need to mark the invoice as paid even it hasn't been sent from the account, it's currently unavailable. Yes, you're correct in downloading it as a PDF and directly email it to the customer as an alternative.

Since you want a better functionality, you might want to check the features and prices of our online versions through this link: Compare Self-Employed and Online Versions

If you find the online version greater benefits, you can watch these instructional videos to help you get started through this link: Getting Started.

This will help improve your experience not to give up QuickBooks, @TBW1. If you need anything else, please drop a comment below. I'm always here to help.

Experienced Member

Thanks for your speedy response @RaymondJayO , much appreciated. 

Is there any way for me to get around the issue that an invoice can't be marked as paid if it wasn't sent through QB? Because if so, I can live with downloading the invoice PDF and emailing it separately to my customer.

Alternatively, I could probably live with the customer having to make all the clicks if it weren't for the sub-heading, which you've mentioned is a known issue - do you know if that's something that will be resolved? I imagine the vast majority of my customers check their email on their phone and this really does look unprofessional. 

Thanks for your support - I find the banking/expense functionality brilliant, but the invoicing part is equally important to me and the experience for my customers just isn't what I had hoped for.

QuickBooks Team

Thanks for the quick response, TBW1.

Allow me to step in for a moment and share some additional information about your invoice concern.

As mentioned by my colleague, the option to automatically mark the invoice as paid without sending it via QBSE is currently unavailable. I still suggest downloading the transaction to PDF and manually sending it to your customers.

Right now, we don’t have a defined time frame for when this will be available. Rest assured, I’ll let you know any updates here in the Community.

You can also visit the QuickBooks Blog site to see what’s new and coming about the product. This page covers a wide range of topics that will help your business prosper.

The information I provided should point you in the right direction. Reach out to me if you have additional questions about QBSE. I’m always ready to help.