- Blank Invoicing for Small Businesses
- How to Make an Invoice from a Blank Invoice Template?
- How to Fill Out an Invoice Form Blank Template
- How to Send a Blank Invoice to Clients?
- Download the Free Blank Invoice Template
- Blank Invoice Templates In PDF, Word, & Excel
- Alternatives to Using a Blank Invoice Template
- Invoice Types
- A Blank Invoice Saves You Time
- Where I can Use Blank Invoice Templates
Blank Invoicing for Small Businesses
A blank invoice template is a document which you can use to describe the goods or services sold to your customers, the cost of such goods or services as well as other payment details so that you can invoice your customers.
Furthermore, a blank invoice template incorporates various invoice fields that can be edited and certain other customizable features so that you can collect payments from customers easily and quickly.
By using such invoice templates you really do not have to worry about missing out on any important invoice details as the blank invoice template takes care of it.
So, if your business bills its customers on time, it means that all of its accounts are properly organized and the important financial information is updated regularly which makes the business tax ready.
There are a lot of professional looking and easy to use free blank invoice templates available that can be customized as per the nature of business and the type of industry.
Thus, save your time by using professional blank invoice templates that not only make your business accounting easy but also help you to speed up your billing process so that you get paid faster.
How to Make an Invoice from a Blank Invoice Template?
The best alternative to prepare a professional-looking invoice easily and quickly is to use a blank invoice template. In order to create an invoice from a blank invoice template, you simply need to:
- download the blank invoice template doc
- fill out all the necessary details
- save the template along with the details and
- finally, send it across to your clients.
Such a template can be created in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Doc, or Google Sheets. So, to create an invoice, you need to follow the steps below:
- First, download a blank invoice template either in PDF, Word, or Excel formats. Make sure that the blank invoice template contains fields as per your business needs.
- Then, open the downloaded blank invoice template document either in Microsoft Word, Excel or as a PDF whatever format you’re comfortable working with.
- Once, you open the invoice template, start filling out your business details in the various fields mentioned in the blank invoice template. Make sure that you include all the important business details like:
- your company or trade name, contact information, and business address
- your company logo, website address, and certifications if any
- client’s name and contact information
- unique invoice number
- invoice date along with payment due date
- description of products or services and its pricing
- discount if any
- the total price and applicable tax
- payment terms including the method of payment
- Now, you can customize the template you’re working on by including the details of your client, goods or services to be sold, the cost of each product or the service to be rendered, method of payment, invoice due date, and invoice terms and conditions. You can even change fonts, font sizes, as well as the color of the blank invoice template to match your brand style guide.
- After you fill in all the details and customize your invoice, give a name to your invoice. You can follow a standard format to name your invoices. For instance, you need to send an invoice to one of your clients named ‘Beneddict Enterprises’ as on 1st October 2020. You can use the following format to name your invoice:
Beneddict Enterprises Invoice – 1/10/2020
- Lastly, check all the details as well as the format of your invoice. Make corrections if required. Finally, save all the details and keep the invoice in a separate folder.
As you can see, you can create professional-looking invoices with such ease using free blank invoices. You can even customize your invoices by adding your business information, client details, description of goods or services, payment details, terms and conditions, and much more.
All you need to do is to download a blank invoice template as Word, Excel, or PDF, fill in all the requisite details, save and send it across to your clients. Moreover, professional invoices help you to track your finances and prepare for tax periods besides saving time and money.
How to Fill Out an Invoice Form Blank Template
As a small business owner, you need to focus your attention on core business operations in order to grow your business and stay competitive.
Spending more time on administrative tasks including accounting, bookkeeping, and preparing and sending invoices would mean loss of business or stunted growth. Therefore, to save time, you must prepare professional-looking invoices using blank invoice templates that help you to prepare and send customized invoices to your customers within no time.
Now, in order to fill out a blank form invoice template, you first need to download the template itself. After downloading the template, you need to start filling out all the custom fields given in the template as well as customize the template as per your own business requirements. It is quite easy to fill out a blank invoice template. All you need to do is follow the steps below:
- The first step involves downloading the blank invoice template either in the form of a Microsoft Word document, Microsoft Excel file or as a PDF document.
- Once you download the invoice template, open it on your device. Start adding your details including your business or trade name, contact information, company logo, client information, and various other fields on your invoice. Do not forget to change the font, font size, or the color of your blank invoice template as per your brand style guide.
- Now, save this blank invoice template in a folder so that it’s easier for you to access the invoice in the future. This will also help you organize the invoices and update your books of accounts within no time.
- In case you need to prepare an invoice for a new or different client, all you need to do is create a copy of the existing document that you just created. Then, customize the copy of the invoice with the new client details including client business or trade name, goods or services provided to the client, price of goods or services, payment details, and terms and conditions.
- Once, you fill out all the details in the blank invoice form blank template, you need to name the invoice so that it’s easy for you to keep a record of all the invoices pertaining to a specific client in an organized way. Thus, to name the invoice, you can follow a standard format.
- After naming the invoice, you need to save it in a proper folder for future reference.
To create professional-looking invoices, you must ensure that you customize your blank invoice templates. Customizing blank invoice templates may include filling important details like contact information, goods or services offered, pricing, payment terms, etc each time you send invoices to your clients.
How to Send a Blank Invoice to Clients?
A blank invoice gives you the flexibility to create professional invoices and customize them as per your business need to help you get paid faster. This is because an invoice is a reminder to your customer for the work done and a well-designed professional-looking invoice adds credibility to the services offered by you.
So before sending a blank invoice template to your customers, it is important that you customize the same by adding your business and client information. You can send the invoices to your customers via email or physical mail . However, sending invoices via email is easier and quicker.
Furthermore, you can send the invoice either at the beginning of the project or when the project ends depending upon the job you undertake or customer preference.
As a small business owner, you want to make sure that the sales revenue keeps flowing in. Therefore, it is very important for you to customize your blank invoice template by setting the payment terms in such a way that the whole or part of the estimated payment is upfront while the remaining part of the payment is made once the project gets completed. In case you work on retainer basis, change your blank invoice template to invoice your customer monthly or set milestones within the project.
Now, you can send invoices to your client either via email or via physical mail. However, sending invoices via email is quicker, faster, and absolutely free of cost. So, to send a blank invoice to your customers, follow the steps below:
- Access the folder where you have saved the invoices you want to sell to your customers
- Before sending the invoices, check whether all the information mentioned in the invoice is error-free
- Check each and every component including the description of goods or services, pricing, invoice date and due date, business information, client information, payment details, and terms
- Next, give a name to your invoice so that you track and organize invoices for specific clients in a proper manner. Use a standard format to name your invoice. For instance, if you want to send invoice to Pagarro Pvt Ltd, you can simply name it as Pagarro Pvt Ltd – Invoice #1
- Now, to send the final invoice to your customers, you need to prepare an email and send the invoice using your business email account
- Make sure that the subject-line of your email includes all the important information such as invoice number and due date. This would help your customer to identify your invoices easily and would get you paid faster. Then, instead of writing the email body of text each time you send invoices to your customers, prefer preparing a template that just acts as a friendly reminder about your invoice that is due to be paid soon. You can also prepare an email template in order to collect late payments
- Attach your invoice to the email either in Microsoft Word, Doc or PDF
- Finally, check all the details of the email right from the message, the client’s name, and email address, subject line to the invoice in the attachment. Once everything seems correct, send the invoice to your customer.
- In order to send a physical copy of your invoice, take a print out of the completed invoice document and mail the physical copy to the address provided by your customer
Download the Free Blank Invoice Template
As a small business owner, you have multiple tasks to undertake on a day-to-day basis. Getting engaged in administrative tasks like preparing and sending invoices to your customers can turn out to be time-consuming.
You can go for cloud accounting software like Quicbooks in order to generate professional and customized invoices.
However, while starting a small business, investing in a cloud-accounting software gets ruled out due to a lack of funds. In such a situation, you can go for free blank invoice templates that are available for every industry and business type.
All you need to do is simply download blank invoice template, fill out all the necessary business and client details, customize it as per your business requirement, and send it across to your clients.
The template that you download can either be a blank invoice template Word, Excel, PDF, as per your preference.
Creating invoices with the help of the blank invoice template can help you create professional-looking invoices within no time.
Blank Invoice Templates In PDF, Word, & Excel
The free blank invoice templates are a simple and easy alternative to send professional invoices to your customers. All you need to do is simply download Blank Invoice Templates in PDF, Word, & Excel and fill out all the details.
These invoice templates are absolutely free and consist of all the mandatory invoice fields such as:
- business name and address,
- company logo,
- type of invoice,
- customer details,
- invoice number,
- due date,
- description of goods or services,
- price, quantity, and total amount,
- discount if applicable,
- tax if applicable,
- shipping if applicable, and
- the total invoice amount.
This means that a blank invoice template consists of all the necessary invoice fields which are just to be filled and the invoice is ready to be sent across customers. In addition to this, the Blank Invoice Template is customizable and can be printed easily.
Therefore, as a small business, you can use free invoice templates to bill your customers for the goods sold or the services rendered.
If you are choosing Blank Invoice Templates to prepare and send invoices to your customers, you can download any of the following templates:
Microsoft Word (.docx) or Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)
Microsoft provides a good variety of invoice templates in both Word and Excel. You can customize these templates as per your own requirements. These Word and Excel templates are absolutely free to use.
So all you need to do is simply select the template that matches your requirements. You can follow the steps below in order to create professional-looking invoices using Microsoft Word or Excel.
Choose an Invoice Template in Word or Excel
Open Microsoft Word or Excel and click the ‘File’ tab. Under the ‘File’ tab, click ‘New’ to access the available templates of invoices. Once you open the invoice templates category, a range of invoice templates would appear like sales invoice, service invoice, an invoice with tax calculation, etc. Choose the template that meets your business requirement.
Download or Edit Invoice Template
Once you select an invoice template, you can either download the invoice template for free or if you have a Microsoft Account you can even edit the invoice template within your browser. If you choose the download option, you can simply fill out all the invoice details in the given invoice template, customize by adding the company logo, or changing font size or font style and save the invoice. However, if you choose to edit the invoice template online, then follow the next step.
Log into Microsoft Account
In case you select the option to edit the invoice template online, you will have to log in to your Microsoft account in order to do so. If you do not have a Microsoft account, you need to create one. Whether you edit the invoice template on your computer or in your internet browser using Microsoft Word or Excel, it will function the same way.
Complete the Invoice
Once, you fill in all the details, check whether each and every detail is correct. Once everything is ready, select the ‘File’ tab and then choose the ‘Print’ option in order to print the invoice. In case, you just need to save your invoice on your device, select the ‘File’ tab, and then choose the ‘Save As’ option.
In order to create an invoice template PDF with fillable fields, you must download Adobe Reader. An invoice in the form of a PDF document is the most commonly used file format to download, send, or create invoice templates. Whether you’re using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Sheets, Google Docs, or any other software to create an invoice template, you need to export or download the document in the PDF format.
Alternatives to Using a Blank Invoice Template
Though a blank invoice template is quite simple and easy to use, it does not give you the flexibility to customize your invoice templates to a greater extent.
Mostly, individuals self-employed or small business owners use Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Google Sheets, Google Docs, or a free invoice generator to create and send invoices to their customers in PDF format.
As you already know, an invoice is a document that you need to send to your customers in order to bill them for the goods or services sold. Thus, an invoice acts as a document that represents your brand and therefore it should reflect your brand identity.
The best alternative to create invoice templates is to use various tools and software made for generating invoices. Some of these tools and software are free and provide you with the best of the functionality in order to make it easy for you to make professional-looking invoices.
One of the invoices generating tools is an online invoice generator. This alternative overpowers software like Microsoft Excel, Word, or PDF when it comes to generating professional-looking invoices within no time.
The online invoice generator provides the following features for creating invoices online:
- a professional-looking invoice format or structure
- flexibility to customize invoice templates including adding customer details, business information, company logo, invoice style, etc
- feature of automatically saving client information, business information, and other information such as the description of goods or services
The above-mentioned tools and software can be used if you need to generate invoices once or twice a month. However, if you want to generate a huge number of invoices each month, it is advised to use online invoicing software like Quickbooks.
The following are the various invoice types for individuals, self-employed, or small business owners belong to various industries and fields:
If you are an artist including painter, photographer, musician, graphic artist, makeup artist, or face painter or any individual selling artwork to your customers in order to charge them for your services, you can download an artist invoice template. This type of invoice is used for artwork that takes time to produce and hence the customer pays once the artwork gets completed.
Auto Body (Mechanic) Invoice
This is a document that needs to be filled in by any mechanic who has been authorized by his client to perform auto-body services. Such a document showcases information regarding cost of parts and service hours put in while repairing a vehicle for a customer.
May be used to provide an initial estimate, for advance payment prior to a catered event or it may be used to bill a client after rendering catering services for payment. All aspects of catering an event must be added, from food and beverage provisions (and any other materials rented or purchased) to wait staff and continued food preparation and service.
Cleaning (Housekeeping) Invoice
A Cleaning or Housekeeping Invoice provides a list of services offered to the clients by a cleaning business or an individual who serves as a contractor, providing home or business cleaning services.
If you need to ship items internationally, you need to create or download a commercial invoice template. A commercial invoice is used by the customs authority of the importing country in order to assess any taxes and fees associated with the items. Such an invoice needs to be attached to the package of goods being shipped.
When sending a package. Most commonly when sending internationally and need to detail exactly what is inside the shipment for importing/customs officials.
A Construction Invoice is a document that must be used for a construction project and should include the hours worked by all laborers and the materials used. In case a bid is put forth at the commencement of the project it should also be attached to the Construction Invoice.
A Consulting Invoice is an invoice that is used by any consultant providing professional services to any individual or business, whether such a consultant is working with a firm or is offering services as a freelancer.
Freelance (Independent Contractor) Invoice
Freelance invoice helps you to keep track of the client accounts and bill your customers for the work done. You can bill your customers as an individual or a company, showcase hourly or retainer payment, and include details for how you need your client to pay the invoice.
Dental invoice is used by an orthodontist or dentist for providing details in respect of the dental services that have been performed on the client. This could include the number of hours worked for routine teeth cleaning, filling, repairing, realigning and whitening and the equipment used to undertake such procedures.
DJ (Disc Jockey) Invoice
A DJ (Disk Jockey) invoice is a document that a DJ would use to bill the event organizers on the completion of the event. Such a document would include the details of the services rendered including any special equipment taken on rent, labor cost,etc.
Graphic Design Invoice
A graphic design invoice helps you bill your clients for the services offered no matter what designing project you work on. It allows you to break the project cost and clearly specify the fixed cost for each section of the project or hourly rate for the number of hours worked on each section of the project.
Handyman (Contractor) Invoice
Handyman invoice is a document that enables a maintenance person to make a formal request for payment for a simple to moderate repair renovation. The handyman will simply enter the type of work done, hours worked and any products used to perform such work.
Hotel invoice is a document that gives the hotel guest an itemized statement of room-per-night costs, room service, telephone calls and any other purchases made within the hotel proper.
An Hourly Invoice is an invoice document used by a business, an employee or an individual who works on contractual basis and would be paid on hourly.
An HVAC Invoice is used by any company who sells and installs HVAC units for its clients. Such an invoice can also be used by a contractor for providing installation services only.
An Itemized Invoice is an invoice document that is used when an individual or a company needs to make line-by-line documentation of services and/or products sold for a larger receivable.
A Landscaping Invoice is an invoice template used by a caretaker of a lawn or garden for providing services. Such a document captures the serviceable hours put in by the caretaker and also accounts for the cost of any supplies such as mulch, seeds, or any other products needed to assist in the upkeep of the lawn or the garden.
Lawyer/Attorney Legal Invoice
A Lawyer/Attorney Legal Invoice is used by a lawyer or an attorney to charge for the services rendered by him to his clients for law related work.
A Medical Invoice is issued by a physician undertaking private practice or working with a hospital for providing health care services to his patients.
A Painting Invoice is a document issued by a painter that includes the pricing and other details pertaining to the labor as well as the products sold.
Past Due (Outstanding) Late Invoice
A Past Due (Outstanding) Late Invoice is a letter that is sent after the original invoice sent is past due. Such a document would typically include the amount of penalty charge and a warning about the outstanding balance.
A Photography Invoice is an invoice document issued by a professional photographer for providing services of taking photographs for his clients. The payment against such an invoice is recommended to be made at the time when the items are shipped or are transferred to the client.
A Plumbing Invoice is a generic receivable raised by a plumber for providing plumbing products and for rendering plumbing services.
A ProForm Invoice, also known as a ‘preliminary invoice’, is an estimation of what products will cost before they arrive to the customer.
Real Estate Commission Invoice
A Real Estate Commission Invoice is a document primarily issued by brokers and property managers for leasing or selling a residential or commercial space for the property owners. The invoice typically depicts the amount of commission charged by the broker for selling or leasing a residential or a commercial space for the property owners. The commission is usually calculated as a percentage of the total lease value or the sale price of the real estate.
A Rent Invoice is an invoice document issued by a property owner for giving his property on rent to the tenants. Such a document is more commonly issued where the rent amount includes month-to-month variables such as utilities that are billed to the landlord and passed on to the tenant.
A Roofing invoice is a document raised by an individual or a firm offering the services of constructing a new roof or offering roof maintenance services to its clients.
A Service or Labor Invoice is an invoice document used by an individual or a firm for charging labor that has been provided to the clients. Typically the amount due is calculated simply by the Rate per Hour ($/HR) multiplied by the hours worked.
A Towing Invoice is an invoice type that is raised by a Company to the owner of a vehicle that was towed. When the amount against such an invoice has been paid, the vehicle shall be deemed to be available for release unless other government fees are required to be charged.
A Vendor Invoice is a standard form raised by an individual or a company vendor or a supplier for an amount due against the goods or services provided.
A Blank Invoice Saves You Time
A Blank Invoice saves you a lot of time as you simply need to download an invoice template suiting your business requirements and customize it as per your business need. Thus, you are able to create professional looking invoices within no time which helps you in getting paid faster.
Furthermore, depending upon the service that you use, using a Blank Invoice automatically saves the information including your business information and customer information used previously to create an invoice. Thus, you do not have to start from scratch each time you prepare an invoice for any of your clients.
In addition to this, using a Blank Invoice template is quite easy to use and offers the functionality of customizing your invoices to ensure that your brand identity is kept intact.
So all you need to do is simply fill out the invoice details, customize it, and send it across to your customers via email for faster payments.
Where I can Use Blank Invoice Templates
A blank invoice template is highly flexible so that it can be used to bill all types of customers irrespective of the products or services you offer. Whether you are a freelancer, contractor, or a small business owner, a blank invoice template can be customized and used to bill customers across any industry such as graphic design, catering, housekeeping, construction, consulting, freelancing , etc.
Thus, a blank invoice template allows you to make changes as per your need. This could include adding or deleting rows for the type of details you need to provide and create professional-looking, elegantly designed invoices within no time.