Ready to build your business website? Whether you are tech savvy enough to build it yourself or you engage a web developer, Maggie Roberts from digital agency Creative Factory says the key thing is to start with a properly thought-out business strategy.
“The business aspect is the foundation to build your online strategy on,” she says. “Technology decisions, design and online distribution strategies all flow from a proper understanding of your business.”
Roberts suggests that business owners ask themselves the following 10 questions when planning to build a business website.
- What are the main objectives of your business? This will dictate the role and form of your website.
- Who are your competitors (and what do their websites look like)?
- Who is your target market? How often do you envisage them using your website and / or making a transaction? What information and functions do you need to provide online?
- How often do you envisage enhancing and developing your website? Will you need to update or change content regularly, for instance, or will your website be fairly static because the information is evergreen?
- Do you want to integrate third party functionality into your website, such as e-commerce or data feeds? Do you need to incorporate CRM into your website content management system?
- Do you want to be able to control the look and feel or customer-facing aspects of your site yourself, or are you happy to rely on a professional? This has implications for the type of content management system you might choose.
- Do you need to develop a separate branding strategy for the website or can your existing brand assets be used online?
- From a visual perspective, which websites would you like your site to look like?
- How important is mobile access for your business? Should you consider a dedicated mobile site or app?
- What methods and channels will you use to promote your site? For instance, if you plan to use remarketing, then you need remarketing pixels on your site. And if you will be using social media to promote your business, you may want social sharing buttons on your website.