cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Lyne1
Level 2

How can I delete sales tax accounts?

I am cleaning up my client's chart of accounts and he has 13 different sales tax accounts (Current liability). I am trying to delete the ones I don't need and that have never been used, but the system won't let me. I was told my customer support that there is no way to delete them, but that just doesn't sound right! Anyone have any ideas?
3 Comments 3
JonpriL

Hi there, @Lyne1!

You can inactivate your sales tax agency to delete your sales tax liability accounts in QuickBooks Online. I'm here to help you accomplish this.

To start with, when you set up, manage, and track your sales tax, it also created all your default sales tax liability account. This is the reason why you're unable to delete your sales tax liability accounts.

For your reference, here's an article you can read to learn more about this: How to Manage Default and Special Accounts in the Chart of Accounts?

However, you have the option to delete them. Yet, you'll have to contact our Customer Care Support.

They have the tools necessary to pull up and look into your account in a secure environment to help inactivate each of your sales tax agency. From there, you can now delete your sales tax liability accounts.

To contact our dedicated support, here's how:

1. Go to Help.
  2. Select Contact us.

Please let me know in the comment section down below if you have any other questions. I'll be always around here in the Community ready to help.

CBlue
Level 3

I ran into a similar problem. It is impossible to DELETE a custom Sales Tax created in error (or a category). Quickbooks Online only let users select ''Make inactive''. (!) In my dictionary, "Delete" does not equal "Make inactive". Delete = Remove. Make Disappear. Adios.

Also, the ''Make inactive'' function is NOT helpful at all since the Unused Sales Tax (created in error) continues to be visible (half greyed out) in the Taxes section and POLLUTES the Dashboard.

Even if users appreciate have some safety measures put in place, having to call Customer Support to Delete or Modify something is a bit ridiculous. With the money we pay each month, we certainly deserve to have more control over things.

LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Hi CBlue,

I appreciate that you've taken the time to share your thoughts on how QuickBooks Online handles sales taxes here on this thread. I hear you on this, and know that being able to delete something entirely and being able to make something inactive are different and can result in different ways your books are managed and the way information is displayed. It sounds like you've already spoken with our team about why sales tax codes and accounts cannot be deleted, which is to ensure that sales tax codes and accounts you do need aren't accidentally removed since that could negatively impact your books.

I know having the inactive items hanging around your Manage Sales Tax page could cause clutter, however, and I encourage you to share your thoughts about this using QuickBooks Online's feedback feature. Doing so is fairly easy and it's the best way to ensure that our product development team is forwarded your thoughts on matters such as these. Here's the article that goes over submitting feedback if you'd like it: How do I submit feedback? If you'd like as well, feel free to bookmark our QuickBooks Online Feature and Product Updates page to keep on top of what's newly available in the program.

I hope you have a great week.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us