Image Alt Text
Starting a business

Starting A Business While Receiving Social Assistance

If you receive government benefits, tax credits or Employment Insurance, you have to meet certain criteria. If you are starting your own business, ensure that your earnings won’t disrupt your benefits. If you are collecting EI due to the loss of a job, you may work and continue to receive benefits, but you must notify the government about your earnings and the number of hours you have worked.

For benefits programs such as the Canada child benefit or the working income tax benefit], the Canada Revenue Agency maintains details on income requirements and thresholds. To ensure your earnings don’t pass the threshold, check the limits on the CRA’s website. Similarly, if you receive local benefits or assistance, speak with the administrators of those programs to ensure you understand how your self-employment income may affect your access to assistance.

References & Resources

Related Articles

Looking for something else?

Get QuickBooks

Smart features made for your business. We've got you covered.

Firm of the Future

Expert advice and resources for today’s accounting professionals.

QuickBooks Support

Get help with QuickBooks. Find articles, video tutorials, and more.