Learn how to set up and manage time off in QuickBooks Time on the web dashboard.
Learn how to:
- Understand role permissions
- Turn on time off
- Set up time off codes
- Manage time off notifications
- View time off
- Delete time off codes
Understand role permissions
- Admins can set up time off codes and accruals for codes like holiday, sick, and personal time.
- Admins and managers can enter time off in bulk.
- Admins and managers can approve or deny team member time off requests.
- Depending on the account settings, team members can enter time off or they can request time off. In both options, team members will see the number of hours they’re predicted to have on the date for the time off.
Turn on time off
- Go to Company Settings, and select Time Options, then Time Off tab.
- Select Administrators and Managers.
- Recommended to allow admins, managers to enter time off for any team members they manage through the web dashboard.
- Choose which days requests are allowed on.
- (Optional) Select All Team Members.
- Turn on to allow team members to add their own time off requests (admins and managers can be notified).
- (Optional) Select Approval required.
- All time off that a team member requests will be in a pending state until it's been approved. Once approved, it becomes a timesheet.
- Even if this setting is turned on, the following team members' time off will be auto-approved due to their permission level:
- Managers who are members of the group they manage
- Anyone with the "Manage timesheets for all team members" permission.
- (Optional) Select Allow managers to edit team members’ time off ledgers.
- This allows managers to make edits to a team member’s existing time off balance.
Set up time off codes
Set up time off codes:
- Go to Feature Add-ons, then Time Off Codes.
- Select Add New.
- Enter the name of the Time Off code and choose whether it is a Paid or Unpaid code.
- Once saved, the type can’t be changed (a paid code can’t be edited to become an unpaid code).
- To assign the code to team members, select Assign to Individuals or Groups. Make your selections and select Save.
- When a Time Off code is assigned to all team members, any new team members will be automatically assigned to that code and accrual rules.
Manage time off notifications
Update notifications globally:
- Go to Company Settings, and select Notifications, then Time Off.
- Make selections and save to apply company-wide.
Update notifications individually:
Note: Doing this overrides notification preferences in Company Settings for the specific team member.
- Go to My Team, select a team member, then select Notifications.
- Select Web, Mobile, or Email for the following options:
- When a team member enters time off (Administrator)
- When a team member enters time off (Manager)
- When time off is approved, denied, edited, or cancelled
View time off
In Time Off
- Team members see a list of their time off entries. If approvals are required, the status of requests will display:
- Select the Accruals and Balances tab to view team member time off ledgers.
- Choose a team member by selecting the current team member's name.
- Choose a time off code to view the ledger for.
- Change the date if you want to view what the balance might be in the future, based on predictive accruals.
- Time off entries appear in the schedule. If approvals are required, when a request is “pending”, it won't appear in the schedule. A “shift” is visible once a request is approved and the timesheet is created.
In Time Entries, reports, etc.
- Time off requests don't appear until the time off timesheet is created.
When is a time off timesheet created?
In some instances, a time off timesheet isn't created immediately after time off is entered. This helps with accuracy in accrual balances.
- A timesheet is created when the balance covers the entire entry and the time off dates are within the pay period.
- If the time off is outside the current pay period, one of these happens based on the accrual type:
- None or Manual: the timesheet is created immediately
- Yearly: the timesheet is created immediately, as long as it is within the current year of accruals.
- By Pay Period or Hours Worked: the timesheet isn't created until the accrual date of the pay period in which the request falls occurs.
- If time off hours are for a past date: A timesheet is created immediately, as long as the pay period isn't locked or hasn't been exported. If that’s the case, an admin will have to unlock or unapprove it, and then the time off can be added.
Delete time off codes
- Go to Feature Add-ons, then Time Off Codes.
- Select Delete .
- This deletes both the accruals and the accrual ledger, however, timesheets tracked to that code will remain.