Hello there, info@nordenseal.
If there is no invoice created yet for a customer, the way you record it in QuickBooks is through a retainer deposit. Using this method, you can apply it as a payment at a later time. Here are the steps to do that:
Step 1: Create a trust liability bank account: (optional)
- Go to the Gear Icon then pick Chart of Accounts.
- At the top of the screen, click New.
- Use Bank Account for the Category Type.
- Select Trust account under Detail Type.
- Enter the name you want. Example: Trust Liability Bank Account, or leave the account name as is.
Step 2: Create a trust liability account:
- Choose the Gear Icon then Chart of Accounts.
- At the top, press New.
- Select Other Current Liabilities under Catergory Type.
- Use Trust Accounts – Liabilities under Detail Type.
- Enter the name you want the hit Save.
Step 3: Create a product or service item that uses the trust liability account
- Tap the Gear Icon then Products and Services.
- Click the New button.
- In the Name field, enter a description for the product or service item. Example: Retainer.
- Click the Income Account drop-down and select a Trust Liability account.
- Press Save.
To get more information about this, see this article: Record a retainer or deposit
If you want to charge a customer online, you may sign up for QuickBooks payments. Then you can visit the Merchant Service Center page, to charge a card without an invoice. Then you can follow the steps above to record the payment in QuickBooks.
If you need further help with applying payments in QBO, please let me know in the comment below. I'll be right here to share some more information about QuickBooks tasks. Have a nice day!