Set up QuickBooks for MTD | Get started tutorial
How to set up QuickBooks for Making Tax Digital
To submit your VAT return for Making Tax Digital, you first need to set it up in QuickBooks.
Before you start:
You will need to have Set up VAT and registered for MTD on the HMRC website before you can start.
- Allows you to submit your VAT Return for MTD directly with HMRC.
- You only need to set up MTD in QuickBooks once, then you are ready to go.
Step 1 of 6
- Select Taxes from the left menu.
Step 2 of 6
- Click on "Get ahead with digital tax - Let's Go".
Step 3 of 6
- Before you can set QuickBooks up for MTD, you first need to have signed up for MTD with HMRC. You’ll receive an email confirmation from them when it’s been completed. This may take a few days.
- Confirm you have signed up for MTD.
Step 4 of 6
- Sign in to the Government Gateway.
Step 5 of 6
- Authorise MTD to interact with your QuickBooks (in HMRC Government Gateway).
Step 6 of 6
- Confirm MTD is turned on (You'll see the MTD logo on the screen).
About Making Tax Digital
Find out more about HMRC's Making Tax Digital and if you need to comply.Go to page
File & Submit VAT
Our HMRC-recognised software will make filing and submitting VAT for Making Tax Digital returns easy.Go to page
File VAT using spreadsheets with Bridging Software
On a complex VAT scheme or need to file quickly? You can submit VAT for MTD using spreadhseets. Start using other QuickBooks features when you're ready.Go to page
Need more help?
Visit support site
Search thousands of help articles on our Support Site.Go to support
Use help button
Use the help button from any page within QuickBooks Online to search articles or connect with an expert.Sign in
Ask the community
Get help and links to useful resources from other small businesses using QuickBooks.Go to community