How to set up VAT | Get started tutorial
How to set up VAT
An easy guide to setting up VAT so you can track transactions, estimate payments and manage cashflowand be ready for Making Tax Digital.
Before you start:
You will need your VAT registration no, filing frequency, VAT scheme and current filing period.
VAT software benefits include
- Track VAT on all of your transactions making it simple to calculate what you owe.
- Get reminders when tax is due. Never miss another payment.
- File directly with our HMRC-recognised software and comply with Maxing Tax Digital.
Set up VAT step-by-step guide
Step 1 of 4
- Select Taxes from the left menu.
Step 2 of 4
- Select Set Up Vat to activate VAT
Step 3 of 4
- Fill in the following fields
- Add the start of the current VAT period
- Add filing frequency
- Choose the appropriate VAT accounting scheme
- Add VAT registration number
- Add other tax options if required
Step 4 of 4
- To view your VAT codes simply choose Taxes on the left-hand menu. Then click on the Edit VAT dropdown list, followed by Edit rates
About Making Tax Digital
Find out more about HMRC's Making Tax Digital and if you need to comply.Go to page
File & Submit VAT
Our HMRC-recognised software will make filing and submitting VAT for Making Tax Digital returns easy.Go to page
File VAT using spreadsheets with Bridging Software
On a complex VAT scheme or need to file quickly? You can submit VAT for MTD using spreadhseets. Start using other QuickBooks features when you're ready.Go to page
Need more help?
Visit support site
Search thousands of help articles on our Support Site.Go to support
Use help button
Use the help button from any page within QuickBooks Online to search articles or connect with an expert.Sign in
Ask the community
Get help and links to useful resources from other small businesses using QuickBooks.Go to community