How to file an online VAT return | HMRC Making Tax Digital
How to submit a VAT Return for HMRC's Making Tax Digital
Learn how to pay your VAT in a Making Tax Digital compliant way directly to HMRC.
Before you start:
You will need to have turned on MTD in QuickBooks (if MTD is turned on you'll see the MTD logo and green tick in the VAT Centre).
VAT returns software benefits include
- Easily calculate & file VAT.
- Comply with Making Tax Digital.
File VAT returns step-by-step guide
Step 1 of 5
- Select Taxes from the left menu.
Step 2 of 5
- In the Open Return click "submit return".
Step 3 of 5
- Review the 9 boxes that make up your VAT return and click Submit to HMRC.
Step 4 of 5
- Declare the information is True and complete and click Submit to HMRC.
Step 5 of 5
- Review confirmation page, take note of receipt number and click "DONE".
- We’ll also send you an email confirmation.
About Making Tax Digital
Find out more about HMRC's Making Tax Digital and if you need to comply.Go to page
Set up MTD in QuickBooks
Before you submit a VAT Return for MTD, you need to set up MTD in QuickBooks.Go to page
File VAT using spreadsheets with Bridging Software
On a complex VAT scheme or need to file quickly? You can submit VAT for MTD using spreadhseets. Start using other QuickBooks features when you're ready.Go to page
Need more help?
Visit support site
Search thousands of help articles on our Support Site.Go to support
Use help button
Use the help button from any page within QuickBooks Online to search articles or connect with an expert.Sign in
Ask the community
Get help and links to useful resources from other small businesses using QuickBooks.Go to community