Did you mean: 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
qbteachmt
Level 15

Reply to message

Item 2:

Sales Receipt = Donation Form, because you already got paid.

Invoice = Pledge, such as Grant tracking or Fundraiser, or annual Dues = the payment is later than the date on that unpaid sale

You use what applies to you for each type of activity.

I recommend the book Running QB for Not For Profits, by Kathy Ivens. Don't listen to whoever told you Never to use Receive Payment; they are Wrong.

3. Customers menu has Customer Transaction. Donors and Sponsors are Customer names, in QB, if you need to track it in QB. Or, Home Page Icon. Or, left side shortcuts bar. That's how you get to the function from various perspectives, but that opens the same function, no matter where you access it from. I don't even use the Home Page, most times; I teach from using the menu, since it is always in your view at the top.

4. After you Select from the UF pop up, the next screen is the Actual Deposit screen, and top left, select Operating Bank. And you might like to use a Payment Method of PP as well as the other selections, so that when you work on a Sales Receipt or a Receive Payment, you assign Payment Method. Then, in the Make Deposit function, you see how you can select from the UF Pop up to show yourself only "payment method = Checks." That makes it simpler to identify and subset "by bank as destination account." That's why Payment Method is our list to control and to add to, for our own tracking needs.

5. The sales receipt or payment is Deposited to PP bank, which you do Directly in the Sales Receipt Screen or the Receive Payment screen. You don't flow them into UF first, since they hit the PP bank individually.

You Batch a total deposit into an envelope to take to the bank teller, in real life. I process 41 payments via ACH, for one date against invoices, and will see One Deposit Total into Banking from the bank statement and I want that same condition in QB. If people pay me by PP, that is Individual entries directly to PP bank.

Your bookkeeping should match your reality.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us