Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Reply to message

View discussion in a popup

Replying to:
RoboSanLucas
Level 2

How can I apply a sales commission credit to a dealer (my customer) of my products?

Hi, My business manufactures and distributes products directly to consumers from our own website, but also sells wholesale through a network of dealers that re-sell our products for us. From time to time, customer's will learn about our products from one of our dealers, and then reach out to us directly to make their purchase. This is often with the intent of having questions answered by us, or sometimes to try to negotiate a discount if they bypass the dealer and come directly to us.

Because our dealer network is so important to our sales revenue, we always try to encourage customers to buy directly from their dealer whenever possible, but sometimes in order to ensure the sale doesn't fall through, we end up closing the sale and collecting payment directly. In those cases, if I know that they were referred to us due to the work or recommendation of one of our dealers, I still want to pay my dealer their sales commission to reward them for encouraging customer's to buy our products. Typically the dealer would just want a credit to be applied to their account to use against future purchases from us, but I am not sure of how to properly record the transaction in Quickbooks.

The transaction would look something like this: Customer purchases Widget directly from Manufacturer (my business) for $1,000. Normally the Dealer would have purchased Widget from Manufacturer (my business) at a 35% discount, and paid $750 to me, and collected the $1,000 payment directly from Customer, leaving Dealer with a $350 profit upon re-sale. But in this case, Manufacturer (my business) collected the full $1,000 from Customer and now wants to credit Dealer with a $350 sales commission/credit for the transaction.

Our system automatically generates an invoice and records payment received against it from the end user customer when they purchase from us, now how do I properly apply the sales commission/credit back to the dealer's customer account?

Thanks in advance!

Solved

Need to get in touch?

Contact us