Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

payroll error

i collected delinquent taxes from the wrong employee.  how do i  A)  pay her back       B) take the money out of the tax collectors "account"

2 Comments 2

payroll error

A warm welcome to the Community, plumber102546.

I'd be happy to assist you today. Let's get your payroll corrected and get you back on track.


You can make a liability adjustment to your employee to correct the payroll.

To adjust payroll liability:

  1. Click Employees at the top.
  2. Choose Payroll Taxes and Liabilities.
  3. Select Adjust Payroll Liabilities.
  4. Enter the Date and Effective Date.
  5. Select Employee under Adjustment for.
  6. Enter the Item Name and Amount in the Taxes and Liabilities field.
  7. Click OK.

Once done, you can create a reimbursement payroll item and use that item to the next payroll to payback your employee.


Add a new payroll item.

  1. From Lists on the top menu bar, select Payroll Item List.
  2. Select the Payroll Item button, and select New.
  3. If using a U.S. version of QuickBooks only, select the Custom Setup option button, and select Next.
  4. Select the Addition item type, and select Next.

I've got some recommended articles that you might find helpful:

If you'd like to go through this over the phone, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours.

  1. Go to:
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

The Community is always here to help you out. Feel free to post back. Have a great day!

Level 15

payroll error

You do not make Both an adjustment and also the details directly on a paycheck.


One the person needing to be reimbursed, you kept some of their takehome. So, on the next paycheck, use an Addition item set up the same as the deduction = None for tax tracking. Give them back the money.


Take it from the other person, on the next paycheck.


You are not "taking the money out of the tax collectors account." You are giving back the value to the wrong person, and then taking it from the right person.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us