Learn how to email your expense receipts to get them into QuickBooks Online. Once you do, you’ll see them in the Receipts tab.
We are currently testing this feature as a beta. If you don't see the Receipts tab, don't worry. It should be available for you soon, and we hope you'll enjoy it when it arrives.
If you have a receipt, you can email it to QuickBooks. We’ll extract info from it and create a transaction for you to review. Then you can edit the receipt, add it to an account, or match it to an existing transaction. You’ll also have the receipt on file for tax time.
Step 1: Register your email address
- Go to the Banking menu, then select the Receipts tab.
- Select Register your email to get started. (If you see "Send receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org," you’ve already registered your email address).
Notes on managing users and addresses
- You can only register one email address per user for your company. Here’s how to change the email address associated with your QuickBooks user account.
- If you want to send receipts to a different company, you need to register your email for that company. You can only be registered in one company at a time, so you'll need to re-register your email to switch companies.
- In the Receipts tab, you can always select Manage Senders to manage which users can email receipts.
- For users to send receipts, they need to be at least a standards user with vendors permissions.
- If you have a gmail address with a + sign in it, you might not be able to register your email address.
Step 2: Email or forward receipts to email@example.com
- Attach receipts or send them in the body of an email. For example, you could take photos of paper receipts and send those, or forward an email that is a receipt itself (such as from an online purchase, Uber or Lyft ride, etc.). If you send a file it should be a pdf, jpeg, jpg, gif, or png.
- Send your receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org. Processing might take a few minutes. If something didn’t quite work, you’ll get an email that lets you know.
- Once it’s in our system, QuickBooks automatically tries to pull out the vendor, date, total, and last four digits of the credit card number. You’ll see the receipt under For Review in the Receipts tab.
Note: You can send multiple receipts in one email. But if you send too many, the file size may get too big for your email provider.