Learn how to integrate TSheets and QuickBooks Desktop using the Web Connector.
Before you get started
Note: This integration is only compatible with QuickBooks for Windows. QuickBooks for Mac is not compatible.
- Turn on the “Full payroll” preferences
- Ensure your week start date matches in both QuickBooks and TSheets
- Ensure “Use time data to create paychecks” is checked in both the Company-wide preferences, and for each active employee
- Ensure "Do you track time?" is marked as "Yes" in Company-wide preferences
- Ensure all employees are set up with at least one payroll item (time is unable to transfer without at least one payroll item mapped)
- Be able to sign in as the main admin (username is generally “admin”)
- Be able to switch to single user mode
- Be on the computer you will be using to sync TSheets and QuickBooks Desktop because the sync can only be performed in one location.
- Ensure all users that need to have time exported to QuickBooks are added in QuickBooks as either an Employee or Vendor (including admins, if necessary).
These instructions assume that you are integrating QBD with an existing TSheets account. If you do not yet have a TSheets account, see How to Get TSheets on Your Computer.
All on the same computer
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop company file that you want to integrate with TSheets, and sign in as the main administrator and in single user mode.
- Sign into TSheets as an administrator.
Install the TSheets QuickBooks integration add-on and sync it
- In TSheets, in the left menu, go to Feature Add-ons > Manage Add-ons.
- Find QuickBooks Desktop Integration, and select Install.
- "Step 1: Select Options": make your selections for what information you want to bring over, and select Next. Selections include (these selections can be changed later in the Preferences):
- Delete all users: If you've already added employees into TSheets, they would not be linked with your QuickBooks account, so you can choose to archive them upon the first sync.
- Import Customers and Jobs: This imports all active customers and their jobs into your TSheets account to allow employees to track time against them. You can either assign them to all employees, or assign them individually later (uncheck assign imported Customers and Jobs). Note: If available, the customer's address will also sync into TSheets for the Nearby Jobs functionality.
- Show Service Items: Brings your Service Item list over as a list employees can pick from while tracking time.
- Show Billable: Gives employees an option to indicate whether the time they're tracking is billable or not.
- Show Class: Brings your Class list over as a list employees can pick from while tracking time.
- Import Vendors as Employees: If you have Vendors/Contractors that need to track time, you can choose to import them as users into TSheets.
- Only Import 1099 Vendors: Limits the Vendor import to only those with "Vendor eligible for 1099" checked in QBD.
- Your first QuickBooks sync will remove any jobs/customers you had set up in TSheets before the integration, so you may see a warning window. When this window displays, read the warning, and if you want to proceed, type delete, and select Continue.
- "Step 2: Set Up Web Connector": select the blue TSheets QuickBooks Web Connector Setup link, and run the downloaded .exe file.
- If you use QBD through Right Networks or if the .exe link above does not work, follow the instructions found here: How to Manually Integrate TSheets and QuickBooks Desktop
- Sign into TSheets.
- When the "Launch QuickBooks" window displays, select Install Web Connector.
- In the "Authorize New Web Service" window, select OK.
- In the "QuickBooks - Application Certificate" window, select Yes, whenever this QuickBooks file is open > Continue.
- In the "Access Confirmation" window, select DONE.
- In the "QuickBooks Web Connector" window, check the box to the left of the TSheets application, and select Update Selected. The system performs a sync.
- To access the Web Connector for later syncs, in QBD, go to File > Update Web Services.
- Note: For QBD in Canada, the "Update Web Services" option is not available. Instead, before closing the application, pin the Web Connector to your taskbar.
- Back in TSheets, in the "Congratulations!" window, follow the next steps listed there, like How to Map Payroll Items.