Learn the difference between QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Self-Employed, and QuickBooks Desktop.
Each version of QuickBooks is designed to address different business needs.
QuickBooks Self-Employed is primarily for freelancers, independent contractors, and service-based entrepreneurs. We make it easy to track your income and expenses and file your Schedule C.
This product is new-ish and a bit different. There are a few things that you can't do with it, such as:
- Import data directly from other QuickBooks products
- Export data to other QuickBooks products
- Sign in with an existing QuickBooks company ID
But there are a lot of things you can do! Here are some tips on how to choose the best QuickBooks version for you:
Our product is for freelancers, independent contractors, home-based entrepreneurs, and consultants. It's the right QuickBooks version for you if:
- You're a sole proprietor (self-employed) and have no employees.
- You use your bank accounts and credit cards for both business and personal spending. We make it easy for you to separate out your business finances.
- You have business expenses and want to turn them into tax deductions to save money.
- You need quick and easy invoices.
- You need help calculating quarterly tax estimates and want help getting them paid.
- You want filing annual taxes to be easier. We can send your Schedule C data directly to TurboTax to make filing simpler. Or, you can take your Schedule C info to your accountant.
- QuickBooks Self-Employed makes it really, really easy to mark your daily transactions as personal spending or business deductions. (This will make filing your Schedule C a breeze)
- You can also easily print out your Schedule C and take it to your accountant.
- We’ll calculate your estimated quarterly taxes for you and help get them paid.
- We connect to TurboTax to make year-end filing fast and easy.
QuickBooks Online might be best for you if:
- You're a business owner (C-corp, S-corp, partnership, or multiperson LLC), not a sole proprietor.
- You have one or more employees.
- You need to create estimates.
- You need to track inventory.
- You need bill pay.
- You need to integrate with other applications like Square or Vend.
- You send more than 10 or so invoices a month.