Welcome to the Community, @kb111. I’m here to walk you through the steps of how to record a security deposit in QuickBooks Desktop.
You can enter the amount as a credit to pay the invoice when applying an upfront deposit or retainer.
- Go to the Customers menu,
- Choose Create Credit Memos/Refunds.
- From the Customer: Job drop-down list, select the appropriate customer or job.
- In the Detail section, select the security deposit item that you've used from the Item drop-down list.
- Enter the amount to be refunded in the Amount field, then select Save and Close.
- In the Available Credit pop-up dialog that appears, select Give a refund and hit OK to close the dialog.
- In the Issue a Refund dialog that appears, select the bank account where the deposit was originally deposited from the Account drop-down list.
- Click OK to close the dialog. You may specify how to refund the customer using the options on the Issue this refund via drop-down menu.
- When you're done, hit Save and Close.
For more details about managing your upfront deposits or retainers, feel free to check out this article.
Moreover, I've got this helpful resource to guide you further on recording transactions for a property management company that may come in handy in the future.
If you have any further questions or concerns about managing your transactions in QBDT, please know that you can always tag my name. I'm here to help you in any way I can. Enjoy your day!