Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Journal entries out of year

We have a couple of issues going on.


We would like to create journal entries for reconciled transactions of payments and deposits. They were created in previous years. Is there anything specific we should look out for?


Also, We have one transaction that was entered as a donation. Everything we find shows that it was deposited and moved from undeposited funds to our bank account. This doesn't appear to be a duplicate transaction. What could we be missing?


We are still working in Quickbooks 14. We are working to transfer to an online version, but would like to clear these old transactions before moving forward.


Your guidance is appreciated.



2 Comments 2

Journal entries out of year

Hello there, NMcCollum.


I'm here to help you record Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop. But, before proceeding, I suggest consulting your accountant for guidance on which account receives the debit and credit side of the transaction. This is to ensure the accuracy of your books. 


Here's how:


  1. Go to the Company menu and select Make General Journal Entries.
  2. Fill out the fields to create your journal entry. Make sure your debits equal your credits when you’re done.
  3. Select Save or Save & Close.


To learn more insights about this, you can read this article: Create a journal entry in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows or Mac.


Also, you can check these links about moving your QBDT company file to QuickBooks Online for reference:



Keep me posted if you have other questions or concerns. I'm just a few clicks away.

Level 13

Journal entries out of year



What type of business entity is this?  Sole proprietorship, partnership or S-corp?


Prior to doing this, print copies of your balance sheet and P&L reports for the period(s) you're working on so you have a reference point. If this is a sole proprietorship, you are generally safe posting to asset and liability accounts. In all cases, beware of posting a journal entry to an income or expense account for prior closed periods since, presumably, tax returns have been filed.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us