Learn more about service discontinuation policy in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
Here's what you need to know about service discontinuation, important dates, and essential info.
What does service discontinuation mean?
Service discontinuation means your QuickBooks Desktop 2019 software won't be supported, and you won't have access to services from within your QuickBooks such as Payroll, Online Banking, and Merchant Services.
To learn more, see QuickBooks Desktop service discontinuation policy.
Why does Intuit discontinue older versions of QuickBooks Desktop?
We're committed to developing straightforward financial tools that help you today and grow with you tomorrow. But it's a balancing act to make QuickBooks better and easier to use while still supporting older versions of the software.
What happens to my payroll service
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic — Your paychecks won't calculate any taxes. You won't be able to send payroll to Intuit for processing, including direct deposits. Your payroll subscription will be deactivated, followed by a refund for the unused part of your payroll subscription.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Standard and Enhanced — Your paychecks won't calculate any taxes. You won't be able to send payroll to Intuit for processing, including direct deposits, or send payments and filings using E-File & Pay. Your payroll subscription will be deactivated, followed by a refund for the unused part of your payroll subscription.
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted — You won't be able to send payroll for processing, including direct deposits. Intuit will no longer be responsible for filing payroll tax returns and W-2s for 2022. Paycheck tax calculations will be incorrect and the payroll service will be canceled.
- Intuit won't file and pay your 2nd Qtr Taxes. To remove the payroll service from your company file in QuickBooks, go to Employees > Send Payroll Data, then Send.
- Annual Support Plans — Any Annual Support Plans you're currently on will continue to work until your annual subscription expires.
Move to QuickBooks Online Payroll Core, Premium, or Elite
We want to make sure your move experience is as seamless as possible. Here’s what you need to know if you decide to switch to QuickBooks Online with Core, Premium, or Elite Payroll. QuickBooks Online offers features such as automatic bank account updates, the ability to access your books anywhere you have internet access, and more. For the full list of subscription features, check out the QuickBooks Online pricing page.
QuickBooks Online Payroll Core, Premium, and Elite offers features such as automatic payroll, automated taxes and forms, and the ability to run payroll from any device. QuickBooks Online Payroll Premium and Elite offer same-day direct deposit. For the full list of subscription features, check out the QuickBooks Online Payroll pricing page.
How will the process go?
You can check out Move your QuickBooks Desktop file to QuickBooks Online for more details on how to switch to QuickBooks Online.
Once you’ve moved to QuickBooks Online with payroll, you’ll need to complete some setup tasks before you can run payroll. Check out this guide to get setup and run your payroll in QuickBooks Online. Note: To view the guide, you'll need to sign in to QuickBooks Online. You may need to select the link twice.
Or check out this webinar:.
Move to QuickBooks Desktop Plus with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic, Enhanced, or Assisted
If you want to remain on your current QuickBooks Desktop Payroll service, check out Upgrade QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.