cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fseee
Level 1

Quickbooks Premier 2017 Desktop 2019 941 Payroll Reports

I recently updated our payroll files to 21908, and updated our QB 2017 Desktop.  I can't find an option to print the 1st quarter 2019 941's, so I hit the "Save" button.  This results in an empty file and I get the following message:

"Adobe Acrobat could not open “INWKS941_190417_131847.pdf” because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded).  To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application.  Then print the document to Adobe PDF."

Well, that was unhelpful.  I am able to still print and save previous 941's as well as other reports from QB and save as PDF's as well. (I've done the usual open/close QB, repairing QB,  cancelling the form and beginning again, etc - nothing works.  And I'm using CC online Adobe so it should always be current.)  Suggestions?

4 Comments 4
QBsguru
Level 7

I had the same issue. After installing QB 19, Abode would not work.  I contacted Adobe and they told me that the programs were not compatible at this time.  Only workaround I found was to install Bullzip.  It's a free PDF converter.

Rose-A

It's nice to see you here in the Community, fseee.

Allow me to help you with printing your payroll forms via QuickBooks Desktop 2019.

It is important to make sure that your QuickBooks Desktop is up to date in the latest release version before printing your 941 payroll forms.

To do that, here's how:

1. From the QuickBooks Help menu, select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. On the Update QuickBooks window, go to the Update Now tab. You can ignore the table because you don't need to change anything.
  3. (Optional) Put a check mark in the box Reset Update box to erase all previous update downloads. (Note: This may increase the amount of time needed for the update.)
  4. Select Get Updates.
  5. Restart QuickBooks. When prompted, accept the option to install the new release.

After that, you can try to print the form again. However, if you're still unable to print the form, you can check out this recommended article and proceed to solution 2Troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop.

Also, this article is a good reference: How to update, repair, or re-install Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

You'll be back to business in no time. Please know I'm only a post away if you have any other concerns about printing payroll forms in QuickBooks Desktop.

fseee
Level 1

I guess I didn't make it very clear.  The version I'm using is QB Premier Desktop 2017, not 2019.  RoseMajorie, I have already tried all of your suggestions and none of them worked.  I will look for another PDF program to see if that solves the problem, even though I only have QBD 2017.

Rose-A

Thanks for getting back to me, fseee.

Allow me to help and provide you additional steps to resolve this issue. Let's get your payroll forms printed.

Since the troubleshooting steps that I've provided didn't work, we can run and perform the REBOOT.BAT file, this process gives you a one-click way to re-register your QuickBooks program files to the Windows registry.

Let me help you run it:

1. Close QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Open the folder containing the reboot.bat file:
    • Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop. And select Properties.
    • Select Open file location.
  3. Right-click the reboot.bat file. And choose Run as Administrator.
    Note:
    • Make sure that you run reboot.bat as the Windows Administrator.
    • The file may display as reboot.bat or reboot, depending on your Windows Folder Options settings.
  4. A Command (DOS) window (black window) will open with rapidly scrolling file names. Do not manually close this window. When the reboot.bat file utility has completed, the window will close.
  5. Check to see if this resolves the issue. If not, restart your computer.

After that, try to open and print the form again. Here's a recommended article for your reference: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/Run-Reboot-bat/m-p/201698.

For additional help, you can also reach out to our phone support agents. They have additional tools to assist you in getting this resolved.

1. Go to: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

Please get back to me if you continue to get the same results so I can look further into this. I'm always here to help you out.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us