cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
DogStop
Level 1

New business

Hello, I am starting my own business, start running this 22 but I am worried about taxes, first should I charge taxes on my business, we are selling food, and them how is gonna be my business taxes, is everything so confusing, ty in advance 

3 Comments 3
lynda
Community Champion

New business

Hello @DogStop:  first, congratulations on your new endeavor! Your best place to see what you owe or should collect for sales tax is your local dept of revenue.  You most likely will need a permit to collect the sales tax too.  Most states have a one stop website for new businesses where you can find out what you need to know to be compliant. Here in Florida, where I live, it is called sunbiz.org.  I would also recommend getting a good CPA and a good attorney.  

Lynda

EmilyCowan
Level 7

New business

Hey @DogStop - welcome to QB Community! Starting a new business can feel pretty overwhelming, but you've come to the right place for support (as you can tell from @lynda's thoughtful response!).

I'd love to hear more about your new venture. What sort of food are you selling and what's your market? 

not2impressed
Level 2

New business

I echo the comments from Lynda and cannot think of any locality that will not require you to collect and forward taxes associated with your sales. 

Yes you should start with your state of providence to acquire tax requirements guidance, however, your accountant should be a primary source. 

Now as you state this is food related it is likely that local governments will also wish to become involved to the point of permits and taxes.  The last thing you need to ruin your day is not having the permits.  These can come all the  way down to municipalities and also can restrict what may be offered for sale.  Packaged food versus locally prepared foods versus raw foods may even have different tax structures.    (Florida has no taxes on raw food, but does tax prepared food (restaurant purchases))

Need to get in touch?

Contact us