cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbbrestaurantgroup
Level 1

How do you enter expenses in QBO that were paid for by a personal credit card?

I have used a personal credit card to pay for business expenses for my LLC.    The payments for the personal credit card have been made each month by the business, although the credit card and checking account are in no way linked.    (bought supplies with personal credit card, personal credit card payment at the end of the month was paid by company)

I need to record the expenses in QBO so we are accurate on the cost of doing business, however, those expenses haven't been paid... they are on the credit card with the company paying the monthly bill due.

How do I record this properly?

1 Comment 1
AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

How do you enter expenses in QBO that were paid for by a personal credit card?

Hi there, dbbrestaurantgroup.

I'm by no means an accounting professional, but I have some insight that can help you get on the right track.

You can create a dummy (credit card) account and use it to record the expenses. Allow me to walk you through the steps on how to do it:

To create a dummy account

1. Select Accounting in the left navigation menu.
  2. Click New.
  3. From the Account Type drop-down menu, choose Credit Card.
    - You don't need to specify the Detail Type since it'll be entered as Credit Card by default.
  4. Name the account.
  5. Click Save and Close.

To enter the expense

1. Click the Plus (+) icon.
  2. Select Expense.
  3. Fill in the appropriate details on the following fields:
    - Payee: Enter the name of the vendor.
    - Payment account: Make sure to select the dummy account you created.
    - Payment date: Enter the date when the expense occurred.
    -  Category: Enter the correct expense account.
    - Amount: Total amount of the purchase.
  4. Click Save and close.

Just a heads up, this method will affect your books, so I recommend that you seek additional guidance from an accounting professional. Every business is unique and they can make suggestions for handling those expenses. Our Intuit Find-A-ProAdvisor site allows you to find certified professionals in your local area that are sure to have the answers you're looking for.

Keep in touch with me here if there's anything else you need. I always got your back. Thanks for reaching out, wishing you and your business the best.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us