cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LaddCann
Level 1

I DO NOT own a vehicle yet I am required to include a Vehicle profile to send my tax summary to Turbotax?

So I spent a week getting everything else organized and in order. EVERYTHING is ready to be forwarded to turbo tax to finish the process....  but i CANNOT send the summary without including a "vehicle profile"  there seems to be no way around this. I don't own or rent a car. I don't even have a valid drivers license! 

any help would be GREAT!  I thought I would be done today.  My roommate suggested putting in his car... but then the IRS would think I am somehow paying for a brand new car from 2018. 

5 Comments 5
Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

I DO NOT own a vehicle yet I am required to include a Vehicle profile to send my tax summary to Turbotax?

Hello there, @LaddCann.

Let's categorize your transaction correctly so you can send your tax summary without including your vehicle profile.

The possible reason why the system is asking for vehicle information is when you have a transactions that was categorized under travel expense. That way, the system will think you own a vehicle since travel expense is still a part of a vehicle expense.

To verify the transactions you can pull up your Profit and Loss report. To resolve your concern, you'll need to change the category under travel expense to other business expense. 

You can read this article for your reference: Categorizing & Editing Transactions.

Fill me in if you have any other questions sending your tax summary. I'll be around if you need any help.

SG118
Level 1

I am having the same issue! I changed all my travel expenses and it still says I need to update my vehicle information!

SG118
Level 1

I'm having the same problem! Did you resolve it??

Thanks for any help!

Angelyn_T
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @SG118.

To verify this further, we can start by running the Profit and Loss report and check if there are no transactions categorized under Car and truck expenses. If an amount is showing up for Car and truck, you need to open it and assign a different category for each transaction.

To open the report:

1. Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed account, then go to the Reports tab at the left pane.
  2. Select Profit and Loss from the result, then select the date range to last year and tap on View.
  3. Go to the Expenses section, then look for your car and truck expense. Be sure that the amount is zero or no amount showing up from there.
  4. If there is, click on the amount beside it, then assign a different category to the transactions listed.

I've added these screenshots for your visual reference.

After following the steps provided, QuickBooks should not ask you to update your vehicle information.

Get back to me if you have any other questions. I'm a post away to help. Have a good day!

Dylan Glockler
Level 1

Having the same issue - I have recategorized everything so that there are not Car and Truck expenses and no travel expenses, but it still won't let me proceed. I followed the same steps last year and was able to move on no problem. It's quite frustrating to be stuck in this loop. It's aggravating that I can't simply say I have no car. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us