cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
WillowOlder
Level 5

Startup Snag: My All-In-One Website/Marketing Package Wasn’t a Deal – It Was a Disaster!

When Cheri Drake was launching her home-staging company, she figured it made sense to hire a network of freelancers for everything from her logo to her website to social marketing. Cheri learned the hard way that sometimes, one-stop shopping creates more problems than it solves.

snag4willow.jpg

Flexibility is not only a crucial key to success, it’s also necessary -- especially when bringing a brand-new business to life. Things don’t always go according to plan, and when that happens entrepreneurs have to think on their feet, come up with new strategies and sometimes even take their venture in a new direction. In this new series, The Startup Snag, we’re learning from established business owners who hit a snag early on and cleverly solved the problem. 

Entrepreneur: Cheri Drake

Business: Sisters Staging

Started: 2016

The Startup Snag: Cheri says, “Oh, I’ve done a few bone-headed things! First, I bought a cute logo from a company with a network of freelancers offering web and graphic design, digital marketing services and more). I let myself get talked into them building my website … then upgrading to a mobile website … then buying the social media marketing package. In the end, I’d given them $2300 and had website content that seemed to be written by someone who didn’t speak English and had been dumped into Google Translate. It was a disaster.”

The Savvy Solution: “Finally, I just had to cut my losses and find a new web designer. I admit I had a couple bad days because of this experience, but it was all part of the learning curve, right? I always own my mistakes, which makes it easier for me to move on.

Now Cheri has a website she loves. “I think of my website as my front door for customers. Come on in! On my blog, I write up all these crazy posts inspired by “The Grumpy Gardner” (a column in Southern Living). I’m trying to make boring questions interesting – and funny! The blog reflects who we are and what our company is all about. It helps set us apart from our competition.”

Read the full story of Sisters Staging right here on QuickBooks Community

ItsYourTurn.jpg

Tell us about a startup snag that you ran into. How did you solve the problem?

Want to weigh in but not yet a QB Community member? Click HERE to sign up in a flash!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us