cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable
Solved

How do you add a percentage on the invoice to cover the credit card processing fee? and if it CAN be done, how does it show up in QB?

We are losing money when our members/vendors pay invoices via the merchant account. Need to know if a 3% processing fee can be assessed for invoices that are paid only by credit card. It would automatically need to be added when the credit card info is entered for payment. Can this be done?
Best answer 12-10-2018 05:15 PM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

You would have to create an other charge item, add it to...

You would have to create an other charge item, add it to the invoice an set the amount or rate

as far as legality:
Surcharging for using a CC card is illegal in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.

You can however offer a discount for cash in those states - except in New York no cash discounts are allowed

New fed laws went into effect in Jan, 2013 allowing surcharges providing the retailer

make customers aware up front that there is a surcharge and how much for using a CC - at the store entrance and at the cash register or if an online store at the first reference to accepting CC for sales

can not use a surcharge for debit cards or prepaid cards

surcharge fees must be itemized on the receipt, in store or online

http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html

4 Comments
Established Community Backer ***

You would have to create an other charge item, add it to...

You would have to create an other charge item, add it to the invoice an set the amount or rate

as far as legality:
Surcharging for using a CC card is illegal in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.

You can however offer a discount for cash in those states - except in New York no cash discounts are allowed

New fed laws went into effect in Jan, 2013 allowing surcharges providing the retailer

make customers aware up front that there is a surcharge and how much for using a CC - at the store entrance and at the cash register or if an online store at the first reference to accepting CC for sales

can not use a surcharge for debit cards or prepaid cards

surcharge fees must be itemized on the receipt, in store or online

http://usa.visa.com/personal/using_visa/checkout_fees/index.html

Not applicable

I don't know if it can be done automatically...my guess i...

I don't know if it can be done automatically...my guess is no, but you should determine if it is legal in your state to do that.  In many states this practice is illegal.

Experienced Member

Re: You would have to create an other charge item, add it to...

In August of 2018 a Federal Judge in Austin overturned that law for Texas.  It made it all the way to the Supreme Court, they kicked it back down to the State and the judge overturned it claiming it was unconstitutional.

Experienced Member

Re: Texas Law Regarding Charging Credit Card Surcharge

In August of 2018 a Federal Judge in Austin overturned this law.  The case made it all the way to the Supreme Court. who kicked it back down to the state.  At that point the judge overturned it saying it was unconstitutional.