cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Job Estimates vs. Actual Report Issue: Item Actual Detail Not Populating

Hi All,

I have encountered a strange issue with our reports in QuickBooks Pro Desktop: When I run a Job Estimates vs. Actual Report for a specific job, it generates just fine. However, when I double click on a specific value to see the transactions that the value came from, all I get is a blank "Item Actual Cost Detail" report.

The strange thing is that I've coded all of these costs as items, and the Job Estimates vs. Actual Report is generating values--so obviously it is picking up these costs from somewhere. Plus, when I create a custom report, filtering for the specific job and sorting by Item Detail, the item-coded costs populate properly.

Is there any reason why double-clicking on the values in the Job Estimates vs. Actual report would then generate a blank "Item Actual Cost Detail" report?

We don't have an estimate for the job in question, just costs and the invoice--all of which are item-coded. But even if I turn off the Estimate filter, the specific transactions don't populate in the detail report.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

3 Comments 3
FritzF

It's a pleasure to see you again in the Community, @Anonymous.

I appreciate you providing the complete details of your concern. I'm here to help fix the issue you're having with Item Actual Detail report showing blank in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) Pro.

Currently, we haven't received any reported cases similar to this. In order to confirm if this is related to data damage, let's run the rebuild and verify data utilities in your company file. These diagnostic tools comb through your company file, fix/repair anything it finds wrong, and notify you of anything that may need to be manually fixed.

Here's how to run these tools:

1. Go to File, then select Utilities and Rebuild Data.
2. Choose OK. Follow the prompts to save a backup, then OK again when you see Rebuild has completed.
4. Now, go back to File, then Utilities and select Verify Data this time.

95.PNG

If the Verify finds an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Select Close, then perform the steps below:

1. Locate or find the QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files, then check log file.
2. Scroll all the way to the bottom for the most recent Verify information.
3. Find the line that contains the LVL_ERROR, then check Top data damage errors in QuickBooks Desktop.

For additional information, you can refer to this article for further guidance: Resolve data damage on your company file. Once done, pull up the Job Estimates vs. Actual Report again and double-click the on a specific value to check.

96.PNG

That should get you fixed right up. Please comment below to let me know how things look after giving this a try or if I can be of additional assistance. I'll be here to help you out. Cheering you to continued success.

debpenne52
Level 1

I am having the same problem.  I have set up the Items per instructions, 2 sided.  The estimates  for each job use these items linked to the chart of accounts.  When I run the Estimate vs Actual report, the estimate detail shows by item, but the Actual only shows as Total at the bottom of that column. 

Can't figure out why the paid job bills don't show by detailed items next to the estimated.

Thanks

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Let me share some information about the Job Estimates vs. Actual report, debpenne52.

If you're running the Job Estimates vs Actuals Summary report, then it will give you a summary of estimated versus actual costs and compares estimated revenue to actual revenue for all customers that have an active estimate.

For Job Estimate vs. Actuals Details report, this gives you detailed costs and revenues for the customer or job you have selected. It compares estimated and actual costs and estimated to actual revenue for each job that you invoiced. This means you can see which parts of the job you estimated accurately and which parts you did not.

With that said, the Actual columns will only show the total payments and there are no items on it.

You can check out this article for more details about customizing job reports: Customize customer, job, and sales reports in QuickBooks Desktop.

Fill me in if you need a hand with running other financial reports in QuickBooks. I'm always here to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us