cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
LeslieBarber
Level 6

Leather Goods Designer Jess Murray Believes in Quality & Production Transparency

jess_murray_1.jpg

After becoming frustrated with the world of fashion and how little consumers know about how products are made, Jess Murray decided it was time to do things her way. Now that she runs her own small business, Jess creates items she can ethically support and she makes business decisions that reflect the value she places on transparency and high-quality materials. 

Jess talked to us about what motivates her to work crazy hours and why she wouldn't change any of it for the world.

Name: Jess Murray

Business: Aegis Handcraft

Started: July 2013

How did you create your awesome job?

The original idea developed from a not-so-great work experience. I had just graduated with a degree in fashion design from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in San Francisco. I got a couple gigs working in the industry, but something just kept eating away at me. I was working as a denim tailor in a place that, while promoting American-made goods, sold items that were way too expensive. Customers never really knew where the products were being made or who was actually making them. 

I came home one day and said to my then-boyfriend: "I can't do this any more — I want to make my own stuff." To his credit, his response was "Let's do it." 

I really felt that the only way for me to stay in the industry that I loved was to find my own path and not continue to do business the way things have been done for years and years.

jess_murray_3.jpg

Who was your very first customer? 

My first customer was actually my mom! It was a bit of a battle for her to get me to accept money from family, so she surprised me. I had just launched my website and an order came through for a bag. Once it was ready for pick up, my mom showed up at my workshop. I didn't know it was her buying the product until she was there to pick it up! It was a funny surprise and it felt great to be so supported by my family.  

When did you know your business was going to work? 

That is a question I'm always asking myself. When I first started Aegis Handcraft, I went to a few business workshops where they asked questions like: "How scalable is your business idea?" and "How much money can you make?" 

While I'm constantly considering these big questions, I have confidence in my business because what I wanted to achieve was to do things my way. More often than not, I might be taking the most tedious or difficult road, but at least I'm the one calling the shots. Now, I’m able to make and sell a product in a way that makes sense to me. 

jess_murray_4.jpg

What has been the biggest surprise so far after starting your own business?

I've always been a multitasker. When I was at school, I was also working full time, so I sometimes only ended up sleeping like an hour a night. 

As a small business owner, there’s always something to learn and something to improve on. I wear so many different hats, but I've really been surprised by how driven I've been to keep things going, to meet the challenges that come along with starting and running your own business. I work non-stop, but it doesn't feel like work. That's been a surprise!

How did you learn to price your products? 

Since it's just me, I really had to think about what my time and skills were worth and how was I going to create products that were well made and still reasonably priced. Most importantly, I didn’t want it to cost my customers an arm and a leg to buy what I was selling. 

jess_murray_5.jpg

What does a typical day look like for you? 

I really love working later in the day. Generally, I'll wake up around 7am or 8am and have a mini breakfast. Right away, I'll get on my computer to answer emails and plan out my day. 

I probably get into the workshop by 11am or noon, after running a couple little errands. I try to get jobs outside of the workshop done before I get in, so that I can really focus while I'm there. 

Once I'm in the workshop, I pretty much work until I can't work anymore. If it's a short day for me, I'll leave by 8pm or so in the evening. Sometimes I'm there until midnight. If I'm really in the zone, I'll completely forget what time it is. 

Last night, I blasted through an entire 9-hour audiobook while I was working! I'll take little breaks here and there and order in food so I'm not starving when I leave for the day. I get completely wrapped up in the work. 

How do you juggle other responsibilities and interests outside of your business? 

You mean like laundry? I think that's been the hardest part, because I'm so overwhelmingly invested.

I used to describe Aegis Handcraft as my baby, but I don't say that anymore because it's more than that. I am Aegis Handcraft. I plan to meet up with family and friends, but a lot of the time they come visit me at the shop. I don't necessarily try to enforce a strict boundary between my business and my personal life.

jess_murray_8.jpg

What would you like to learn today from a community of other small business owners and self-employed professionals?

When I leave a show, I find that the most helpful things I come away with are the connections with other makers — learning from their mistakes and their successes. 

From understanding how they manage their days to what website platforms they find to be particularly easy to use, I'm constantly asking questions and looking for tips on how to improve my business.

jess_murray_2.jpg

Now, we want to hear *your* story!

What ideas do *you* have for Jess and other small business owners blazing their own trails? What tips do you wish someone had given you when you were first starting out? 

Share your thoughts with us in the comments below! :-)

Need to get in touch?

Contact us