Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

California SUI

I have an employee who is a college student in Washington State.  She works for me in Washington State.  She listed her home address as her parent's address in California.  I do not conduct any business in California.  Do I need to register for EDD or any other Employer related tax services in CA just because she listed her Address as there?

2 Comments 2
Not applicable

California SUI

Thank you for reaching out in the Community, @joshuaseven.


I'm here to help share some insights about registering for EDD in California. 


There are cases that you may be subject to register to both states or there can be an agreement that would require you to only register to one state.


To determine your withholding responsibilities, I'd suggest contacting the state agency to ensure you're tracking your state taxes correctly.


If you need some payroll references in the future, you can check out this payroll site: Help articles for Online Payroll.


Let me know if you have other questions about your state taxes. I'll be here to help however I can.

Not applicable

California SUI

No, you don't have to deal with CA when employing someone one who is residing in WA for college.  While her permanent address may be CA, since she is not working for you there, then it doesn't matter.


Basically, an employee's mailing address is not related to how they are taxed for payroll.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us