Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

Mapping Payroll Tax Expenses to different general ledger accounts

Can you you set up payroll taxes (FICA, FED etc) to map to different GL accounts based on the employee set-up in the payroll module?  The goal is to have to have the burden classified in the proper cost center (direct manufactuing, indirect labor, or G&A).  If this cannot be done what is a good report to run from payroll so this can be accomplished in a reclaissifying journal entry.




Re: Mapping Payroll Tax Expenses to different general ledger accounts

It's nice to see you here in the Community, eadysco.

You came to the right place for help with QuickBooks. I want to make sure you'll be able to map your payroll tax expenses to a different general ledger account.


If you wish to have a different account for tracking your payroll tax expenses, you can follow the steps below:

  1. Click List at the top menu bar.
  2. On the drop-down list, click Payroll Item List.
  3. Double-click for Social Security Company to edit.
  4. Hit Next.
  5. Click Next again.
  6. From there, you can choose which expense account to use.
  7. Hit Next.
  8. Click Finish.

I've attached some screenshots to guide you through the steps.


Also, you may find this recommended article helpful:


If you need additional help, feel free to reach out to our QuickBooks Desktop Support. Here's how you can reach them:

  1. Go to:
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select your QuickBooks version.
  4. On the Contact Us page, click a topic.
  5. Click on the Get Phone Number button to see the support number.

I've got your back if there's anything else I can help with. Take care. Have a good one.




Community Explorer **

Re: Mapping Payroll Tax Expenses to different general ledger accounts

Looking for a solution to this as well.


The response did not answer the question, it only explained how to map payroll taxes to an account.


The question is how to map taxes to different expense accounts depending on the employee (direct labor vs indirect/G&A labor).

QuickBooks Team

Re: Mapping Payroll Tax Expenses to different general ledger accounts

You can only associate one expense account to each payroll tax, CoolCasey. 


To re-classify direct or G&A labor employees, you'll want to use the class tracking feature. 


Here's how you can turn the feature on: 

  1. In the Edit menu, choose Preferences
  2. On the left panel, select Accounting and click the Company Preferences tab. 
  3. Under the Class section, check on the Use class tracking for transactions box. 
  4. Once done, click OK

You can also go to your Help menu and choose QuickBooks Desktop Help. Type class tracking on the search field and click on the links to view details. 


The modified settings would already apply to future transactions.


Please let me know if you have additional questions.