The saved pdf in Payroll center Forms will only display Copy A, what is submitted to IRS.
If you did not save a pdf of Copy 1 when you first printed (you should have given out 4 pages total to each employee) you can start the W2 creation process again and print what you need, either on purchased forms or on plain paper
Being a newbie on QB, I saved EVERYTHING that printed for the employer, yet I had to go back and re-do the process to even get copy D for the employees. Then I was told they needed a copy 1 for the state. I did not see anything that I saved with Copy 1 printed on the W2 itself. The annual form shows in the thumbprint, copy 1 but the W2 does not say it. So I was going to go back and process a 3rd time but it only has process W2 for the state, which I tried and it gives me the Excel file for an electronic submission but I cannot see anything but the actual employee info in Excel. No longer gives me a radio button to print anything such as copy D as I had previously. I am thoroughly confused now.
Good morning, @spaarmell.
I hope you're having a great Friday so far.
You can print just Copy 1 for State. Let me show you how below.
1. Open the Payroll Center and click the File Forms tab and choose Annual Form W-2/W-3 - Wage and Tax Statement/Transmittal and select Create Form.
2. Pick the correct option in the Select Employees and Select Filing Period sections.
3. Hit Review/Edit to ensure everything is correct in the Select Employees for Form W-2.W-3 window that appears.
4. Then you'll select Print for Your Records at the bottom of the screen.
5. You'll need to select the Paper type you wish to use.
6. You're also going to see options to print different copies of the W-2s and W-3s. In this section, you'll want to pick W-2 Copy 1: for your State or Local Tax Department, 2 per page (1 per page if only 1 employee).
7. Then you'll click Print at the bottom of the screen.
That's all there is to it. If you find you still have issues feel free to reply to this thread, and I'll be here to help you every step of the way. Take care, and have a great weekend ahead!
I tried to send this earlier but it did not go through. What you sent was exactly what I needed. Direct, and concise. Thank you so, so much! It certainly alleviated my stress. Bless you!