New York State Department of Tax & Finance
If you're seeing it as an ACH withdrawal from your checking, it's a tax payment. Possibly your NYS Sales Tax, but it could be some other tax that NYS is grabbing.
Pleased to have you here, @wcba2017.
@Pete_Mc is correct! Allow me to share additional details about the New York State Department of Tax & Finance (NY DTF) and how to set it up your New Your State tax information in QuickBooks Online.
New York State Department of Tax & Finance (NY DTF) is the tax agency that manages and collects tax revenues to support New York State services and programs.
To set up your state tax, here's how:
That should do it! Keep me posted if you have other questions about your managing your State taxes in QuickBooks Online. I’m always here to lend a hand. Have a great ahead!
It might be Payroll, but be careful to check before you start entering anything. The withdrawal may not actually have anything to do with Payroll. I have multiple clients that have no payroll, but have NYS DTF withdrawals ever month.
I see Sales Tax the most, but here are some other very common non payroll ones:
- Sales Tax: NYS DTF SALES
- Withholding Tax: NYS DTF WT
- Personal Income Tax: NYS DTF PIT
- Assesment/Bill Payment: NYS DTF BILL PYT
My old link doesn't work anymore, so maybe they renamed it. This link takes you to what looks like a full list and appears to be so you have the code to give to your bank to make sure the payment isn't blocked on a Debit Card. But all the regular ones I see hit checking accounts are there : NYS DTF Payment Block Codes
My income was less than $ 15,000, in 2018,& 19. Don't understand their rational to withdrawal automatically every month from my checking account, without my knowledge !!
For what ? How can stop the payment ?
I'm sure they are not answering the phone in this chaotic situation!
Thanks for your time
Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.
It's best if you can get an explanation from your state agency particular to your withdrawals. You can open this link: https://www.tax.ny.gov/help/contact/default.htm. Then, click the Give us a call hypertext.
If you have questions aside from this, feel free to go back to this thread. We'll be here to assist you.
You never told us what NYS was withdrawing the money for. Back in January I gave you some examples of what it could be. So if you don't see the full line in your Bank Feed, log into your online account and see what it says in the account activity. And if they're really for the same thing every month, then it should be on your bank statement too. The line should show NY DTF ???? <----- What is here at the end.
NYS DTF SALES = Sales Tax
NYS DTF WT = Withholding Tax
NYS DTF PIT = Personal Income Tax
NYS DTF BILL PYT = Assessment/Bill Payment
And you have no clue as to what these withdrawals could be? No old taxes and penalties they came after you for? If you're using QBs, I'm guessing this is poss. a business account. So old Sales Tax liability?
OR, it is quite possible they messed up or someone put in the wrong account number and NYS is taking it out of the wrong account. But if you don't actually reach out to them it will not stop.
So I strongly recommend:
1) Have you called your Accountant? It is quite possibly something they set up.
2) If your Acct. doesn't know, FIND OUT what the withdrawal is for from a bank's statement, logging into your bank or CALLING your bank. NYS does tell you what they're taking the money for. At least in a general way.
3) If you are still unclear, log into your NYS DTF account (link below or Google it). All your payments to NYS should be shown there.
4) Once you know what they're taking money for, does it make sense? Even if it does, you should be able to reach out to them based on your income and get the payments suspended for a time or the monthly withdrawal reduced. And yes, you may need to dial in and put the phone on speaker and just wait. But it's probably not going to go away on its own.
Here's the link (but I won't be insulted if you look it up yourself, I don't generally trust links given to me):