My company file won't open QB for Mac 2021.
It either gives an error message when I click to open it, or locks up the entire program and has to be shut down by force quit.
I have tried every way to open - including selecting the file in my Finder to trigger the application open, as recommended in another thread. Nothing happens when I do this.
All 5 versions of the backup are apparently corrupted.?
Utilities menu is grayed out;
I am two hours into this and cannot afford to buy the care plan.
I'm here to help you sort this out, @juliemyamani1.
Let's start by making sure that your QuickBooks software is updated to the latest releases. Once completed, let's rename the file or move it to a new location to fix this error. Here's how:
Now, let's try accessing your company file again. However, if the issue persists, you can proceed in moving it to a new location.
Lastly, you can delete the file from the original location. Go back to the New Finder window, and then drag the file to the Trash icon.
Let us know if you have other questions or QuickBooks concerns. I'm always right here to help.
I did all that already. By myself, after reading that solution worked for someone else, and then with two other reps in the chat. Five hours and counting with endless loops of chats and providing my license number...
I appreciate you performing all the troubleshooting steps to resolve this, juliemyamani1.
Since none of them works, I recommend reaching out to our Data Services team to get your company file diagnosed. They have an extra tool to check your account for further isolation.
To reach them, you can go to this link and directly message them to chat with a live agent. Please know that they're only available every Monday to Friday, 7 AM - 5 PM PT.
Additionally, to learn how to manage your books in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac, see this article: QuickBooks for Mac user's guide.
If there's anything else that I can help you with, please let me know in the comment section down below. I'm always around happy to help.
How are you opening the backups?
Lets try the old school way: the backups are Disk Image files. This is a standard Apple file type that represents a virtual disk drive.
1. Find one of your backup files and double click on it. This should mount a virtual disk drive of the same name in the Finder. I find it a little easier to have Show Hard Disks checked in Finder Preferences (I just click everything there).
2. Find the virtual disk - it should be on your desktop. Double click on it.
3. Inside will be your company file. Drag your company file to your Documents directory.
4. Find QuickBooks Mac 2021 by in the Applications directory. Hold down the option key while double clicking on it to launch it. The option key prevents it from opening any files on launch.
5. Choose QuickBooks->Check For Updates. Apply any updates that are available.
6. Within QuickBooks choose File->Open and select the file you just moved into the Documents directory.
Did it open successfully? If not, what error message do you receive?
If that all works and you use attachments you'll want to set those up as well but lets just see if this first step works.