Hello there, JJ PLUMBING.
Thank you for posting on the Community.
Yes, you'll need to create a sales receipt or invoice to track your record. There are two types of accounting methods: cash and accrual basis. You can create an invoice for accrual and sales receipt for cash basis transactions. Take note that you can consult your accountant for the transaction fit for you. I'll show you how to create those transactions.
These are the steps for sales receipt:
1. Click the + New icon.
2. Select Sales receipt.
3. Select the customer from the Customer dropdown. Click Add a new if not yet set up.
4. Enter the sales information, such as the payment method.
5. Enter line items for products and services you sold.
6. Click Save and send once you're done.
Here's how to create an invoice:
1. Select + New icon.
2. Click on Invoice.
3. From the Customer dropdown, select a customer. Click Add a new if not yet set up.
4. Enter the Invoice date, Terms, and Due date.
5. Enter line items for products and services.
6. Enter a quantity, rate, and change amount if needed.
7. When you're ready, click Save and close.
I'll include this article if you need to record invoice payments in QuickBooks Online.
Stay in touch if you have more questions about your account. I'll be right here to help.