Our accountant was on the phone with Intuit for two hours yesterday, with nothing getting accomplished. Same exact problem as you and I've been poking around the Internet all morning trying to figure it out. I should preface this by saying that I'm fairly tech savvy and know enough to follow directions and look for certain things, but I'm by no means an expert. After much digging, I fixed it! And it was repeatable multiple times on both of the computers that use QB. Both solutions were ones I found online, for semi-related issues, so I can take no credit for anything but combining all of this for your perusal. Sorry for the incoming wall of text. Some background: We're on Windows 7, running QB Enterprise 2018 Contractor, using Office 2007 (and therefore Excel 2007, although I also have Office 2016 for some reason that may or may not be non-operational at the moment), on two computers (one has the company file, the other just has full access to it). We were trying to run a report - Reports -> Employees & Payroll -> Summarize Payroll Data in Excel. Kept coming up with "We found a problem with some content in 'QB_Payroll_Link.xlt", where clicking 'Yes' came up with a messed up report that was of no use. The repair message was "Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content. Global PivotTable report information was repaired due to integrity problems." Queue the call to Intuit. They poked around through remote access for a couple of hours and said that it was an Excel problem. I couldn't figure why, since both QB and Excel were updated and hadn't been altered for a while and we'd been able to do this all before. So our accountant figured out how to do a work around (sorry, I don't know how she managed that), but it still didn't fix the underlying problem. So there a couple of things to check. Step One: I ended up running an update for QB and ran into an error there (Error 15241), which just means that there's a setting in Intuit that wasn't allowing for updates to actually take, as far as I can tell. I hadn't noticed before that some of the updates had failed, so while I was missing a few on my computer, I know that our accountant's QB install was up to date because I checked. The fix for that goes like this: Go to your Start Menu or the My Computer icon on your desktop and right click -> Manage -> go to Services and Applications at the bottom on the left and double click -> click Services -> scroll down to Intuit Quickbooks and double click -> on the General tab, find Startup Type and make sure it says Manual. -> hit Apply and Okay and that should take care of your update difficulties, if you have them. If it's already set to Manual, yay! You're fine. Don't close the window yet. If you have, don't worry about it, just repeat the steps to get back to Services. Step Two: Repeat Step One up to Services. If you're already there, great! This next part actually comes from me finding out that my attempt to repair Office 2007 didn't work and Office 2016 is somehow messed up and uninstalled it. That's a separate problem and I don't think it had anything to do with this. The error was Error 30068-39 (1058) (specifically for Office 2007, I guess), but this fix also works for Error 30068-4 (1058), which seems to be something to do with installing Office 2016. So it's Service -> scroll down to Office Source Engine, double click -> look at Startup Type and make sure that it's set for Automatic. -> click Apply and Okay and go ahead and close the window, you don't need it anymore. Step Three: Restart or shut down and restart your computer. I don't think it really matters which--I had time, so I did a shutdown. Before you try and run any reports, go into all your Office programs, one by one, and you'll probably see a window that pops up, saying that it's installing it. Don't freak out--the best I can figure is that it has something to do with the Office Source Engine and how it handles its updates. It takes a little bit for each program, but everything should open up just fine and I didn't have to put in a license code for the software. Once you've done all that, trying running a report--when I did it, it popped up with a page that said macros weren't enabled and how to do that and I enabled macros and clicked the option to trust the publisher (Intuit) so that it didn't pop up again. After a few minutes, the employee report with all the payroll and taxes and whatever other info was in there loaded up without a problem. I have no idea why this works. I have no idea what happened in the interim between the last time we ran this report back in the last quarter and now. Just to be sure that it took, I closed QB and ran it again after opening it back up and it worked. I did the same things on the accountant's computer and tested it twice and that worked too. I just finished running the same thing again, just to be absolutely sure and it's still working, so I hope this helps you too. If you're still having problems, sorry, that's all I've got. Best of luck to you!
... View more