cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minie123
Level 2

Duplicate Transaction After Reconciliation

After Reconciliation the Bank Register shows Uncleared Transactions. I tried to correct and change manually and now I am with same Transaction posted twice in Register-once as C and once as R (without green sign). The beginning balance is correct.

Any idea how to solve this? What will show up on next Reconciliation Report?  

5 Comments 5
Pete_Mc
Community Champion

Is this your first time reconciling or your first time using Bank Feed?

The transactions with the C are the ones Bank Feed matched to when you downloaded your bank info.  The ones with the R are the ones you Reconciled.

Is it possible that when you downloaded the Bank Feed you manually accepted all of the transactions vs. matching them to existing ones?  The Bank Feed can miss existing transactions when the bank has a different name than what you have entered in QBO.  (That's where the Renaming Rule comes into play.) 

Let us know if this is NOT the issue.  But if it is, here is one workaround. 

I'm going to assume that many of your entries were through Bill Pay or Customer payments.  So deleting those transactions would change multiple things withing QBO.  Keeping that in mind, start at the bottom of your register (today's date) and slowly go up the list of Non-Reconciled transactions and look for duplicates.  NOTE: The entries from the bank may be on a later date than what you entered.  The Bank shows when the transaction hit them, you show when you initially entered it.  Feel free to change the Bank's date.

You want to keep the entry that is tied to the Bill Pay, Customer Payment, etc.  The incorrect entry may still be tied to what appears to be a correct Account, but just make sure which one is correct so that you do not delete and entry tied to other QBO entries.  When you're sure, Delete the duplicate you do not need.

Once you're done with the UnReconciled entries, now look at the Reconciled items you just finished.  Hopefully the items you Reconciled are the correct ones and all the Cleared (C) items will be the duplicates.  But again, be very certain.  Once all the extras are deleted you balance should be back to normal.

Going forward, you want to make sure you Match to transactions every time you do a Bank Feed do not just Accept items that do not match. 

When I get one that does not match I go do the transaction correctly, even if it's an ATM withdrawal I just hadn't put in yet or maybe a Dividend Direct Deposit.  Then I go back to the Bank Feed window and the item(s) should now show as Matched.  Often the Bank will also have a different name and QBO just misses the existing entry.  

Remember that the Bank Feed is just a quicker way to let you MATCH to transactions and look for any errors or unexpected activity in your Bank Account.  It is not meant to be an Auto Entry tool.

Hope this helps.  Let us know if the above was a waste and you have a different issue.

Catherine_B
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, minie123. 

I've answered a similar question with regards to your concern. Please click here to open the thread. 

The Community is always around to help you if you have other questions. 

minie123
Level 2

Hello PeteMc,

Yes, It is helpful, thank you so much.

I will try to do step by step as you described. 

I was doing Reconciliation for 4 months and first one was clear and nice, but later on got in trouble. You are right, I did Pay Bill before Matching in Banking for two Bills.

Next mistake was doing Credit Card Reconciliation before Checking Acc Rec. and made mistakes with Credit Card Payment Transfer.

So complicated.... Will look for someone to help me and go through it carefully.

For future, will follow your advice!

Regards

morganlaw2010
Level 1

This is helpful but does not solve my similar issue.

I ran the reconciliation report and discovered after I clicked "finish" on the report and ran the report that there were duplicate deposits.  Therefore there are uncleared deposits that are actually duplicate deposits.  I am submitting this reconciliation for an audit, and so it is important that the reconciliation report doesn't make it seem as though there is additional money in the account that is unaccounted for.

So, what I need to do--and I've not found an answer yet--is to somehow undo the reconciliation and redo it now that the duplicate deposits have been removed.

I've seen other answers say "There's no way to do this" or "see your accountant."  

Can I have a straightforward answer about how to resolve this.  It really suggest that there is a lot more money in the account than there actually is.

Thank you!

RCV
QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

Let me provide some information about handling duplicate transactions on the reconciliation page, morganlaw2010. 

You'll need to delete the Cleared (C) transfer transaction if it is a duplicate of the Reconciled (R) one. Just follow the steps below: 

1. Click Accounting on the left menu and select the Chart of Accounts tab.
  2. Look for the bank account and click View register.
  3. Select the Cleared (C) transfer transaction.
  4. Click Delete and choose Yes to confirm the action.

You can also follow the steps provided by Pete_Mc for more details. For other reconciliation resources you can check, please click this guide: Learn the reconcile workflow in QuickBooks. If you need assistant with this one, I'd suggest contacting our Customer Support Team. They'll pull up your account in a secure environment and help you with this one. You may send a message via chat, call us at a time convenient to you, or we’ll get in touch with you instead. To ensure we address your concern, our representatives are available from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM on weekdays and 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM on Saturdays, PST. See our support hours and types for more details about this one. Here's how:

1. Go to the Help icon on the top right. 
  2. Enter your concern in the search field.
  3. Choose Talk to a human.
  4. Click the OK. To get you to the right human, in a few words, tell me what you need help with option and tap I still need a human
  5. Press Contact us.
  6. Tick Continue
  7. Choose Message an agent or Get a callback.

Feel free to visit our Reconciliation page for more insights about reconciling your bank account with QuickBooks.

I'd like to know how you get on after trying the steps or after contacting our support, as I want to ensure this is resolved for you. Just reply to this post and I'll get back to you. Take care always.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us