cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JeffLyden
Level 2

Importing into wrong checking account.

How do I tell QB Desktop to import transactions into a particulat checking account? It's putting them into the wrong account.

10 Comments 10
BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, @JeffLyden.

It's nice to have you in the Community today. I'd be glad to assist with downloading your bank transactions to the correct account.

If the transactions are coming from your bank, you'll need to reach out to our financial institution to verify why is it showing on the incorrect account. This is because QuickBooks is only dependent on the transactions that were transmitted from your bank. 

However, if the transactions are from a third party application, you'll need to check on the settings to map the accounts correctly. QuickBooks Desktop does not receive data through automatic sync since it's an offline product. Data is instead exported to an Intuit Interchange Format (IIF) file, which you will then download and upload it to your QuickBooks Desktop account.

To learn more about importing files in QuickBooks, please check out this article: Import Intuit Interchange Format (.IIF) files. 

There you have it!

Please let me know if you're referring to something else by replying into this thread. I want to make sure everything is accurate on your end. Have a good one!

JeffLyden
Level 2

I'm using a third party IIF file. I expected that with the specific account open at the time of upload that it would import into that checking account. Instead it created a second account in the company and uploaded there. How do I manage which account a file will upload to? Should I eliminate other accounts? Is there a way to choose a default account?

JeffLyden
Level 2

I'm using a 3rd party IIF file. When I import the file with the checking account open I thought it would import into that account. But instead, it created a new checking account (or possibly it was an original account that set up with the new company) and uploaded there. How do I upload to my selected account? Should i remove the other account? Is there a way to choose my intended account by default?

BettyJaneB
QuickBooks Team

Hello, @JeffLyden.

I appreciate the details that you've given. Allow me to provide additional insights into this concern.

When importing an .IIF file into QuickBooks Desktop if the account is already existing, transactions will automatically be posted into their designated account. If the account is not recognized by QuickBooks, this will create a new account.

For now, I'd suggest opening your .IIF file on an excel and see if the accounts there are correct. If you're seeing an incorrect account you can edit it so it will be identified by QuickBooks. If you've verified that all accounts are correct, I'd recommend reaching out to your Third Party Service Provider. This is to ensure that your accounts will be mapped accurately upon importing. 

Also, you can merge the newly created account to the new one to consolidate all transactions without needing to enter transactions again one by one and update information as needed.

I've included some helpful articles about importing .IIF file in QuickBooks Desktop for your reference: 

This amount of information should get you moving today, Jeff.

Please let me know if you need further assistance with this matter. I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as I can. Have a great day!

GSCHMIDT
Level 1

In my business client in QuickBooks 2016 Pro, 2 bank accounts are reflected Business Checking and Wells Fargo. Both are the same account number. When I import the qbo file it goes into the Business Checking for review of transactions etc. I want it to go into the Wells Fargo account. How do I provider proper steerage?

MaryGraceS

Hi there, @GSCHMIDT.

Thank you for joining the Community. I'd be happy to help share some information about importing the .qbo file to the correct account. 

It's possible that when you set up the account for bank feeds, the bank connected to QuickBooks is Business Checking and not Wells Fargo. To fix this, you can disable and re-enable Bank Feeds to correct the settings. This way, the most current information will be posted to the accurate location during re-setup.

To start, let's make sure to create a backup of your company file to protect against accidental data loss. After that, let me show you how to deactivate bank feeds for an account:

1. From the Lists menu, select Chart of Accounts.
  2. Right-click the account that needs to be deactivated then select Edit Account.
  3. Go to the Bank Feed Settings tab.
  4. Select Deactivate all online services. You should get a confirmation that you have just disabled one or more online services for the account, but it does not cancel the services with the bank.
  5. Choose OK then click Save & Close.

After that, make the necessary changes if there's any, then re-setup the account for bank feeds.

Here's how: 

1. From the Banking menu, select Bank Feeds.
  2. Choose Set Up Bank Feeds for an Account.
  3. In the Enter your Bank’s name field, enter the name of your bank. Note that as you type, QuickBooks displays possible matches.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Enter your Direct Connect login credentials. 
  6. Select Connect.
  7. Select the bank account you want to connect to QuickBooks.
  8. Select Finish after the process completes.

That should do it. You have now successfully activated online banking and can download the transactions in the correct account.

I've attached an article for additional reference about this, as well as a series of basic information that covers about bank feeds in QuickBooks Desktop: Edit Bank Feed settings for bank or credit card accounts.

Keep me posted how it goes. I'll be happy to help you further about importing bank feeds to the correct account in QuickBooks. Wishing you and your business success. 

cmendezamce
Level 1

I have do this and everything just went crazy, all of the items that have been previously matched have now an additional equal unmatched item to account for.

RaymondJayO

I appreciate you for performing the steps provided by my peer above in deactivating and reactivating the bank feeds for an account, @cmendezamce

Matching the transactions in the Bank Feeds Center helps you easily manage your transactions. Since the recommended solutions don't make any difference, I'd suggest contacting our Customer Care Team. They can double-check your company file why there's an additional equal unmatched item to account for. They can also provide steps on how to fix it. Please first check out their support hours before getting in touch with them. Here's how: 

1. Open the software.
  2. Go to Help from the top menu. 
  3. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help.
  4. Click Contact Us.
  5. Enter Banking as your concern, then choose Continue
  6. We’ll provide you a few support options. Select which one is best for you.

Once fixed, you can go back to the Bank Feeds Center. From there, you can review, assign, categorize, and match your transactions. To learn more about this process, go through this article: Bank Feeds in QuickBooks Desktop

I'll be right here to help if there's anything else you need. Have a great day, @cmendezamce

kmclaf9652
Level 1

The bank feed transactions are correct from the bank.  The bank account that they are going into is incorrect.

I have been reading that I have to delete the transactions from one account so they can be reloaded to the correct account.  

Also when I choose to map to a particular QB account from my chart of accounts, it does not show my QB account number to map to.

ChristieAnn
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, kmclaf9652.

It's nice to see you posting here in QuickBooks Community. I'll share information and steps to ensure you're able to see the bank transactions correctly in your QuickBooks Desktop account.

The downloaded data in QuickBooks depends on the information shared by the financial institution. With this, I suggest contacting your bank to get more details and to see why your bank feed transactions show incorrectly in the QuickBooks system. This way, they're able to investigate if uncleared entries are causing the issue.

On the other hand, it could be the file in your QuickBooks Desktop might be damaged. That said, I recommend running the QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild tool. The tool helps scan any issues with the company file and self-resolve them on your behalf. 

Here's how to Verify your data:

1. Go to the File menu at the top.
  2. Select Utilities, and then choose Verify Data.

If the Verify data detects an issue, you can Rebuild your file. Let me guide you how:

1. Go back to the File menu.
  2. Choose Utilities, and then select Rebuild Data.
  3. Click OK, and then follow the on-screen prompts to save a backup.
  4. Select OK when you see Rebuild has completed.
  5. Once done, go to your Banking menu again and check the said option. 

After that, you can check for the remaining data damage. Please check this article on how to perform the steps: Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop. And, you'll also see the common reasons to use the Verify and Rebuild features on that article.

Once everything's good, you can begin adding and matching your transactions to ensure they go to the right accounts and prevent duplicates.

You're always welcome to comment back if you have more questions about managing your banking in QBDT. I'd be happy to help you some more. Take care and enjoy your day.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us