cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AeromedRL
Level 1

period copy

How can I get this done?  I have QuickBooks Accountant Desktop 2019 and cannot figure it out.  I tried calling support but, of course, they were NO help at all. 

9 Comments 9
JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

period copy

Good to see you here in the QuickBooks Community, AeromedRL.

Allow me to help and walk you through on how to create a period copy in QuickBooks Desktop. 

A period copy is a Condensed version of your company file that only contains data for a specific period. To create a period copy, here's how:

1. At the top menu bar, go to the File menu.
  2. Select Utilities.
  3. Click Condense Data.
  4. On the What transactions do you want to remove? window, choose Transactions outside of a date range (to prepare a period copy of the company file).
  5. Set the correct dates for the Remove transactions before and after filter.
  6. Go through the wizard and select the options you need. Select Help if you need assistance.

For additional reference, you can check this article on how to use the Condense Data utility and scroll-down to Period Copy.

This will get you on the right track. Feel me in if you have any other questions about the Period copy. I'm always here to help. Have a good one. 

junk4u
Level 3

period copy

This doesn't work as many have found its a majority a waste of time. Support is less than adequate and requires a intense time consuming examination of the data by the individual. Quickbooks will say it has completed without errors, but there are errors because of the way quickcrack works.

They rely on other outside of the quickbook support to find and give a solution to the lackluster of a software that tries to lock you into a subscription for something that works inadequately. If they would just stick to making the accounting work than focusing on forcing people to pay for this sub-par program. 

kyralyramyra
Level 1

period copy

Try condensing some older years to get the company file down to a size that will allow QuickBooks to create a period copy. I had problems creating a period copy. So I condensed everything prior to 2010, then went through the same process for 2011, then 2012, and so on until my company file was under 100,000KB. At that point, I was able to make the period copy I needed. 

I did all of this on a copy of the company file to avoid damaging the master/original company file. 

Good luck!

3D Scan
Level 1

period copy

Has anyone actually had any sucess with creating a period copy of a company file?  I'm being serious.  I have Premier and have tried it using the condense function that is available, and I get no change to the file at all.  I have given my company file to my accountant (at a medium sized accounting firm) and they have tried it several times and get the same results.  I was actually told that they didn't think it would work based off of previous attempts with other customers.

So, I ask again.  Has anyone been able to make this function work as expected?  What's the point of a function that doesn't work?

MirriamM

period copy

Hi there, @3D Scan.

I'm here to share some information about being unable to create a period copy in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT).

We have received several reports regarding this, and our Product Engineers are now working to fix it as quickly as possible. While they do, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Care Team, so you'll be added to the list of affected users (INV-58797). 

To reach them, here's how:

1. Open QuickBooks. 
  2. Go to the Help menu at the top.
  3. Select QuickBooks Desktop Help
  4. Type Contact Us in the search box. Then, click on Contact Us at the bottom. 
  5. Select the way you wish to connect with support.

You can also check out this link for more information on how to contact them: Contact QuickBooks Desktop support. Ensure to review their support hours, so you'll know when agents are available.

Please let me know if you have other concerns. I'm just around to help. Have a great day.

Fiat Lux - ASIA
Level 15

period copy

@3D Scan 

Are you using QBD 2019?

EliC
Level 1

period copy

Has this problem been fixed by your Products Engineers?

ZackE

period copy

Thanks for joining the Community and getting involved with this thread, EliC.

I've reviewed our ongoing investigation (INV-58797) about a "QuickBooks is unable to complete this operation and needs to restart" message displaying after completing a Period Copy condense and can confirm our Product Investigations team is still investigating this occurrence.

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Care team and referencing the investigation's case number (INV-58797). They'll be able to pull up your account in a secure environment, conduct further research, and add you to our list of affected users if necessary. This ensures you'll receive email notifications about any updates relating to our investigation.

They can be reached while you're using QuickBooks.

Here's how:

1. In your top menu bar, go to Help, then QuickBooks Desktop Help.

2. Click Contact Us.

3. Enter a brief description of the issue in our Ask a question (or tell us what's wrong) field, then hit Continue.

4. Select We’ll contact you for a callback or Message Us to start an instant messaging session.

Be sure to review their support hours so you'll know when agents are available.

If there's any additional questions, I'm just a post away. Have a lovely day!

EliC
Level 1

period copy

Today, I asked a question if this issue has been fixed since Product Engineers looked into it back in December of 2021 and just received a response from Zack: that they are still "investigating". Amost one and a half year later and still investigating!!! Wow.

ZackE (Moderator) posted a new reply in Other questions on May 24, 2023 10:50 AM:

Need to get in touch?

Contact us