cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
derek2
Level 1

How do I remove the "Qty" and "Rate" from my Invoice entry screen. I just want to enter an amount.

13 Comments 13
JamesDuanT

How do I remove the "Qty" and "Rate" from my Invoice entry screen. I just want to enter an amount.

Hello Derek,

Currently, we're unable to remove the the QUANTITY (Qty) and RATE columns in the Invoice window. You can leave these columns blank, and enter the value in the AMOUNT column when creating invoices.

Meanwhile, we can customize the columns your customers can see on their invoices. Let me show you how:

1. Click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and select Custom Form Styles.
  2. Look for the invoice template and click Edit.
  3. Go to the Content tab and select the 2nd blurred section.
  4. Under the COLUMNS section, remove the check mark in the Quantity and Rate boxes.
  5. Click Done.

Also, I'd recommend sending feedback to our Product Development Team about this. You can click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and select Feedback.

Let me know if you need more assistance with this. I'll be around! 

kimNSHC
Level 1

I don't need these columns, they don't show up on invoices (which is a good thing) and they make it necessary to shift my screen back and forth on each line item. I HATE THIS UPDATE!!! We should be given a choice as to whether we want to update and add items to our screens. It seems a bit arbitrary of QBO developers to just add or take away options on this program with no choice given to the cusotmer. You know, the people who pay for using the online program!

MaryLandT

Hello there, @kimNSHC,

I understand your desire to remove the QTY and RATE columns on your invoice screen. 

Right now, there isn't an option to hide these columns from the invoice page. However, you can customize your sales form as mentioned by my colleague @JamesDuanT. This way, your client won't be able to see them when you send their invoice. 

hideqtyandrate.PNGhideqtyandrate1.PNG

Don't hesitate to reply if there's anything I can help you with customizing your sales forms in QuickBooks Online. I'm always around whenever you need help. Thanks for your patience and take care always.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure when this "update" occurred, I was happily creating my invoices without the need for the columns Quantity and Rate columns. Is there a reason why I am now being forced to use these columns - which do make the screen wider and cause unecessary left and right scrolling - and confusion!!

I note from your previous answers  that there is no option to remove them after the update. Updates are usually made to software to make it easier for the user. Just not sure why you would implement this change reducing the flexibility of your software. Please allow me the option to go back to the way things were. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Mondoman,

Thank you for posting.

As I've checked and confirmed, there has been some reports about unable to hide the Quantity and Rate columns for billable hours on an invoice. If this case is similar to yours, our engineers are currently working on fixing it. For now, you may try entering the amount directly to the invoice instead of linking the billable hours from the Weekly Timesheet or Single Time Activity. 

For QBO mobile app users, you may temporarily access and create invoices in QBO using a web browser. I'll take note of this feedback and send it personally to our product development team.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to post some more.  

katherinejoyceO
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for joining the thread, @loveparadox83. I want to make sure that your goal is meet today. 

If you can you share with me more detail about your concern that would be great, so I can provide you with the right resolution.

If your concern is related to the main topic, I'd suggest you scroll up and refer to @JamesDuanT's resolution.

I also find a helpful article for you that you can refer to in case you want to import your own custom form style instead. You better check out this support link: Import custom form styles for invoice or estimates. This feature also helps you learn the basics of designing your DOCX template so you can go a long way towards perfecting your custom form.

Please let me know if you 're referring to something else. We're always delighted to help. Have a great day!

MichaelQAmera
Level 1

I am not selling pieces. I am selling services. My unit of measurement is HOURS.  Is it possible to change the label from QTY to HOURS.

Thankd

LieraMarie_A
QuickBooks Team

Glad to see you here, @MichaelQAmera.

There isn't an option to change a label from the invoice page. However, you may consider customizing your invoice template that you're sending to your customer. This way, you'll be able to change the column for QTY to HRS.

Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Select Custom form styles.
  3. Choose Invoice from the New Style drop-down arrow.
  4. In the Content tab, click the second Pencil icon.
  5. Click Edit Labels and Width.
  6. Change the Quantity label to "Hrs."
  7. Hit Done.

You can also make this template as default.

Here's how:

1. In the Custom form styles page, locate the invoice template.
  2. Click the drop-down arrow under the Action column.
  3. Select Make default.

Here's an article that will help speed up your work in managing your invoices: How to create a recurring invoice?

Don't hesitate to comment down below if you need further assistance. Have a great day.

Nancy101
Level 1

The ability to remove both of these columns needs to be a priority for the Quickbooks Team. 

Being able to hide the column for the client ONLY is unacceptable. It is the billing department that is suffering from missing line items that should have been billed but weren't because they did not fall under the amount column that sums up the total but the HIDDEN rate column instead that does not end up in the billing total. 

Placing a number under the rate column does not always automatically enter it under the amount column which is absolutely detrimental for billing.

It's been TWO YEARS since someone raised concerns about this and NOTHING has been done. 

This is a very important customizable feature that would help a lot of business owners if it was fixed. 

slandry
Level 2

Quickbooks hates it's users and will not ever listen.

I've only ever set it up for people and not used it, until about 6 months ago when freshbooks decided to sh*t on it's customers as well and remove the "classic" mode.

I have no idea how QB stays in business.

They literally hate their clients.

Thebookkeeper
Level 2

It's been another 2 years! you still can not remove these columns! Unbelievable. I wish my clients did not insist on using QBO, because I would NEVER use it. 

CRS Gen Const
Level 1

I moved from QB pro 2020, to QB Online recently, and besides having to endure a subscription rate that effectively has increase my yearly expense for QB, from what was about $200/ year, for the newest version every two years, to what will end up being $720/ year, at $60/ month, a 260% increase in what I pay, I'm not happy with the lack of flexibility and control I have on how my invoices & estimates appear in PDF form for my customers. It seems that I'm forced to use one, of two predetermined formats from QB, the 'new' or 'old' layout. I'm really not impressed with either of them, but the 'new' layout seems to best match what I had created on my desktop version. I would really like to get rid of the rate, and quantity fields, that I don't use, but shows up on the PDF's created for my customers. I've tried the solution, suggested by James Duan, to remove the quantity & rate fields from my invoices, and it only works if I use the 'Old Layout', which I really don't like how it's formatted. When I change it to the 'New Layout' those fields still appear in the PDF generated for my customers to view. I've double checked in setting, and those fields are not checked, to be included in my forms. Is there a resolution for this, or is this what I'm to expect with this online version? Along with the fact that I can no longer create jobs, as a sub category, under each customer, as it is considered to be part of an even 'More' expensive subscription, I'm am very disappointed with having to pay so much more, for a program that I don't even own, and offers less flexibility in how I use it !!!!

jenop2
QuickBooks Team

Hi there, CRS Gen Const.

We appreciate your feedback about the sales form customization feature. For now, these are the only fields that can be added or removed in the invoice template:

• Ship to
  • Invoice no
  • Invoice date
  • Due date
  • Terms
  • Service date
  • SKU

I would recommend sending feedback to our engineers. Customer feedback are collected and reviewed to help us improve your experience when using QBO. Here's an article for more details: How Do I Submit Feedback?

With regards to the the jobs or sub-customers, you can use the Projects feature. With this, each project will be added as a sub-customer similar to the one in the Desktop version. 

Please see these articles for more details: 

The Community is always here if you need anything else. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us