cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lori7
Level 1

How to I merge classes? I tried to correct the spelling of a class and it created a new class.

9 Comments 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to I merge classes? I tried to correct the spelling of a class and it created a new class.

Hello, lori7.

You can merge two classes through editing the second class and make the name identical with the first class. The system will detect an existing class with the same name you're trying enter then will ask you two merge these classes instead. 

Stay in touch if you have other concerns with QuickBooks. We'll be happy to help. 

Queuebee
Level 1

If I merge my last two classes into one, can that last class be made inactive, or deleted?

David-212915
QuickBooks Team

Nice to have you in the conversation, @Queuebee. I can provide clarification on merging.

When merging two classes, it will combine the information and transactions that are classified using it. You can make a class inactive, regardless of it it has been involved in a merge or is the last class that you have set up. 

There are things that can prevent inactivating a class, such as being used in a recurring transaction. Also, please know that merging can't be undone and is a permanent change. For a general overview of merging, please see the following article: How to Merge Accounts, Customers, and Vendors.

I'm confident this information will get you back to business. 

I'd be glad to answer questions should you have any. Wishing you well. 

tabletop
Level 1

Just to be clear, if I merge class B with class A, by renaming class B, class A, will all of the transactions that are class B be updated to say class A instead?

Thanks.

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for coming to us for clarification regarding the merging process, @tabletop.

You’re right. All the transactions assigned to class B are also being merged into transactions in class A. The information is moved over to the one you’re going to keep, the same as merging accounts, customers, and vendors.

Please refer to the same article shared by my colleague above for more information.

That should answer your concern for today.

Leave a comment below if you need anything else. I’m more than happy to help. Wishing you the best!

LottieJosie
Level 1

I have two classes with identical spelling but can't get them to merge. I tried giving one an odd name, then re-editing it back to the name of the class I want to merge to, but it simply lists two classes by the same name. 

SashaMC

Thank you for joining the thread, LottieJosie. The steps you mention are the correct way to merge the classes. Usually, a warning message will pop up, saying, "Please Confirm, that name is already being used. Would you like to merge the two?'' once the spelling is identical.

If you do not see this warning message, it would be best to reach out to our Support Team to take a more in-depth look into the situation. They have the tools to do a screen share to see what could be causing this. Here's how to contact us:

1. Go to Help on the top of the page.
  2. Click Contact Us.
  3. Write your question.
  4. Choose the call back feature to connect with us.

Please feel free to reach back out to the Community or me anytime you find you have questions or concerns. Keep me updated and take care.

Tim-09
Level 1

Just joining in... with a question on whether the budgets for the class can be merged in the same step, or if that has to be done manually?

Jen_D

It's nice to see you here, @Tim-09,

Allow me to share some insights about this merge question. At the moment, merging budgets is currently not available, so renaming it will not initiate the merging process.

You will need to add the information manually to the budget you want to use, or create a new one with the merged information. 

To give you some insights about the budgeting process in QBO, please check out the following link: Create and import budgets into QuickBooks Online

Let me know if you have other questions about budgets or anything about QuickBooks. I'll be right here to lend a hand. Have a nice day!

Need to get in touch?

Contact us