Highlighted
Content Creator
13 Comments
Community Manager
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

A colleague of mine gave me the confidence I needed. So it wasn't so much a moment, as a meaningful person in my life.

Community Explorer ***
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

I have a low tolerance for stupid people, and since the Peter Principle is thriving in the business world - starting a business was the only option.

Community Host
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

@Rustler wrote:

I have a low tolerance for stupid people, and since the Peter Principle is thriving in the business world - starting a business was the only option.


 

Oh, I imagine there's a story here @Rustler! Where did you work before you struck out on your own, and how was that a prime example of people "rising to the level of their incompetence"?

Community Explorer ***
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

Hi,

Makes a nice reading. I am still working. My scenario is more like the Dilbert Principal. But yes I am in the process of making my plans. Once I make my arrangements I will start on my own.

Community Explorer ***
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

@EmilyCowanwrote:

Oh, I imagine there's a story here @Rustler! Where did you work before you struck out on your own, and how was that a prime example of people "rising to the level of their incompetence"?


 

Really, you really need an example of people rising to the level of their incompetence?  

20 years in the military where you get promoted based on time in grade
Civil service, where it takes the second coming to fire someone once they lock in 3 years
School teachers who are, as we said in the military, retired on active duty, just biding their time, knowing they have to really mess up, publicly, to get suspended with pay, much less fired.
professors with tenure

Or the guy who worked for Raytheon computer programming department, the department head, I had no degree, no official training in programming, but after I retired I applied for a programmer job.  I did the little silly exercises for them in real time, and his response was sorry you are over qualified!  A friend knew him personally, and found out for me that the reason I was over qualified, having NO previous training or experience (I was self taught), was that I breezed through the tests and top of that, provided a more elegant solution to the programming problem they posed than had  been done in the past.  His words quoted to me by my friend, "If I hire Jim, he will have my job in 2-3 years - not going to happen."

Or the guys who worked in a defence contractor I was hired at.  My job was figuring out how captured enemy electronic equipment worked.  Little did I know that you were not really supposed to do that, or at least not in timely manner.  And heaven forbid that you managed to write it up too. 

Community Explorer ***
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

Hi  Rustler,

Very few organizations nurture talent. Allow it to grow. Bring out the best in you.  The few that do are the ones that thrive. The others just survive.

Community Host
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

@Rustler wrote:

@EmilyCowanwrote:

Oh, I imagine there's a story here @Rustler! Where did you work before you struck out on your own, and how was that a prime example of people "rising to the level of their incompetence"?


Really, you really need an example of people rising to the level of their incompetence?  


 

LOL, @Rustler I have plenty of my own examples - I was interested in your examples. Thank you for your detailed answer Smiley Happy It sounds like you were a tremendously bad fit for civil service and the defense industry - neither of which, I might point out, are known for an especially spry response to the changing labor landscape. Have you read Linchpin by Seth Godin? I think you might like it.

Community Manager
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

@Rustler Those examples really show why you have absolutely no patience for stupidity!

Community Explorer **
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

Five years ago, I hired into a manufacturing company as their Staff Accountant. I had my Associate degree, working towards my Bachalor degree and no experience. The company's single biggest concern was that I would finish my degree, gain 3-5 years experience, and move on to a higher paying job/position. I assured them I had no intentions of doing so and did not continue with my schooling after the current term finished. Four and a half years later, they were the ones that pulled the plug. Eliminated my position, outsourced the work, and told me "Thank you, we wish you the best".  My entire time with them, I constantly advised them to expand and diversify their customer base (87% sales to a single customer). I decided to take my own advice. No more relying on a single company for my livelihood .

Community Leader
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

I have always wanted to make an impact in the world. When I hit my 30s and everyone around me was having babies and complaining about this thing called the "horse pill", I knew I could do better for my pregnant friends. I wanted to make a difference and the right opportunity fell into my lap. And I listened to it. And knew in my gut it was time...

Community Explorer ***
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

I was at a university, got tenure and promotion. My entire life, it seemed, had been focused on that. Once I reached those goals, I realized it wasn't all that I thought it would be and left. I did work for myself for about 15 years, as a graphic and web designer. Life happened, as it always does, and I decided to re-enter the workforce. I am currently working as an administrative assistant and love the job. It includes bookkeeping and payroll. I really love these aspects of the job. I have been doing a ton of training (which I fortunately have the time and management support to do) on both administrative type things as well as accounting/bookkeeping type things. I think it was just today that a bulb went off ~ I can do these things once I retire from this full time job. I'm not in a hurry, but I do want to start getting ready for that.

Community Host
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

@tamalita wrote:

I was at a university, got tenure and promotion. My entire life, it seemed, had been focused on that. Once I reached those goals, I realized it wasn't all that I thought it would be and left. I did work for myself for about 15 years, as a graphic and web designer. Life happened, as it always does, and I decided to re-enter the workforce. I am currently working as an administrative assistant and love the job. It includes bookkeeping and payroll. I really love these aspects of the job. I have been doing a ton of training (which I fortunately have the time and management support to do) on both administrative type things as well as accounting/bookkeeping type things. I think it was just today that a bulb went off ~ I can do these things once I retire from this full time job. I'm not in a hurry, but I do want to start getting ready for that.


 

@tamalita this is such a great perspective. So glad to have you contribute here in QB Community as you prepare for wherever life takes you! Do you have any thoughts on direction post-FT employment? Back to teaching? Graphic design? Something totally new?

Community Explorer ***
Re: What Milestone Moments Persuaded You to “Pivot” and Work for Yourself?

Good question. I'm actually thinking bookkeeping for small business, or payroll. Haven't quite got it ironed out, but leaning that way.