cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jba
Level 2

A bug after latest update: new tabs open in the same page type (e.g. invoice, timesheet), but previously would open the Dashboard. How to fix this?

QBO for mac, Version 4.0.0-209.
24 Comments 24
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

A bug after latest update: new tabs open in the same page type (e.g. invoice, timesheet), but previously would open the Dashboard. How to fix this?

Hey there, jba.

Thanks for turning to the Community about this behavior after the latest update. I want to ensure you’ll be able to access the dashboard without the app opening new tabs.

I have a few steps that you can try to resolve the issue. First, check if your computer meets the QuickBooks Online app requirements for Windows. If so, then refresh the application.

Here's how:

1. Go to Help at the top menu bar.
  2. Choose Reset App Data.

If you get the same result after resetting the app data, uninstall and reinstall the application to start with a clean slate. You can visit this website to download it: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/apps/.

Then, scroll down to the Get the QuickBooks Mac or Windows App section, and click on the Free Download link.

That's it. Feel free to let me know how it goes by posting a comment below. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible to assist you further.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good day, Your advice did not help me. This problem began this morning. I am working in the original tab (the default after login). When I click the plus sign to open a new tab, I am taken back to the original tab where I am asked to login again. Just started happening this morning. I reset the app and downloaded a new copy to no avail. QB Online version for Mac. Thank you.
HoneyLynn_G
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for joining this thread and trying the recommendations provided by my colleague, @Anonymous.

You should be able to open new tab, and get working in your QBO app version on your Mac. However, since the recommendations didn't do the trick and you're still getting back on the original tab, I recommend calling us to conduct further investigation.

Checking the root cause of this requires tools, like screen sharing, that only the Phone Support Team has. They can also create an investigation ticket if there are other customers experiencing the same thing.

I'm confident that your company data is secured and you'll get the resolution you need once you reach out to them, @Anonymous.

Keep me posted on how it went or if you have other questions about QBO App. I'm always here to help further.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. I just got off the phone with phone support. Although they were not able to help, they took down the information and confirmed the problem via screen share. They also confirmed that someone else reported this same problem earlier today. I am now linked to the ticket and am awaiting a resolution.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for letting us know, @Anonymous.

I understand this is a time-consuming process for you. The last thing you should have to worry about is getting an issue when making transactions using the QBO App.

While our Online Team is investigating this issue, I'd suggest accessing your company via a supported browser instead.

Should you need some references for future use, please feel free to visit our help site: Help articles for QuickBooks Online.

Let me know if you need anything else. I'm here to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue still remains... I've seen no progress made since my original post.  The case number is [removed]

Adrian_A

Hi OKC,

Our engineers are still working about this issue. As a workaround, you can continue working with your QuickBooks Online (QBO) account through a web browser.

As much as possible, only your QBO account page is the only open tab. Since, this helps to avoid any issues while working on your company file.

I will give you an update once this issue is resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am aware, AdrianRose_A, but thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, Intuit team, this problem still exists.  A bit over a month now.  Not impressive.   OKC

FritzF

This isn't the impression that I'd like for you to be left with, @Anonymous.

At this time, our Product Engineers are still working to fix the issue with opening a new tab in QuickBooks Desktop app for both Mac and Windows (INV-31308). Since you're already on our list of affected users, rest assured that you'll receive an email notification once the issue is fixed with a resolution. I'll also update you in this post as well.

In the meantime, I suggest that you continue to work with your QBO account using a web browser as a workaround.

Thanks for your understanding and patience while we look into this. Please post again or leave a comment should you need anything else. I'll be here to help. Take care.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Fritz. Have I been patient long enough yet? This is a major inconvenience for us.
MaryGraceS

Hi there, OKC.

Currently, the investigation for this unexpected behavior is still in progress. Though I’m unable to provide a definite time frame when will this be fixed, rest assured that I’ll post an update here in the Community when it's available. 

In the meantime, I'd suggest performing the workaround to ensure you can complete your work. That is to access your company via a supported web browser.

I appreciate your time getting in touch with us today. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be more than happy to help you anytime. Have a great rest of the day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed this morning that this bug seems to have been fixed.  I was expecting to be notified since I'm theoretically on the distribution list of this issue.  Oh well... at least it's working now.

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Thanks for getting back to this thread and providing updates on your end, @Anonymous.

I'm happy to hear that you're now able to open multiple tabs while working within QuickBooks Online. 

Some users are still experiencing the same behavior that's why you haven't received a notification yet. The investigation is open, and we’re waiting for an update from our engineers with the information that the permanent fix has been implemented for everyone. 

Once the case is closed, an email confirmation will be sent to all affected accounts. I'll also let you know if there are any changes by updating this thread.

Please comment down below if you ever need anything else. I’m always here to help. Have a pleasant day!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon.  The problem resurfaced this morning.

Mark_R
QuickBooks Team

Hi @Anonymous,

As of this time, our engineers are still investigating the on-going issue with opening a new tab in QuickBooks Desktop app. While the issue persists anytime. Rest assured that our product engineers are all hands in working for a fix.

As mentioned by my colleagues above, you can consider accessing your QuickBooks account via a supported web browser.

For now, you can visit our blog site so you'll be able to get the latest news about QuickBooks and what our Product Care Team is working on. 

I really appreciate your patience while we're working for a fix.

BethFL
Level 3

Starting two days ago I am unable to open a new tab. When I click the new tab I am redirected to the login screen. I use the new tab feature frequently. Help

MadelynC

There are times browser-related concerns can have a serious impact on productivity, @BethFL.

We can perform some troubleshooting steps to get this back to normal. 

To start, please open your QuickBooks account using an incognito or private window. Then try to access new tabs from there for testing. You can use these shortcuts keys below:

• Safari: Hold down +Shift+N
  • Google Chrome: Ctrl+Shift+N
  • Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge: Ctrl+Shift+P

If it works, you’ll have to go back to your main browser and clear its cache. Clearing them fixes certain matters, like loading or formatting issues on sites and helps increase the performance of your computer.

You can also use other supported browsers as an alternative except for Internet explorer.

I appreciate you for reaching out to the Community. Keep me updated on this. I’ll be here anytime to help.

Ladislav
Level 2

This is still a problem , Please fix. I am dealing with this more than half year already .......!!!!!!! It's ridiculous. 

MaryLandT

We're aware of the issue with the Desktop app for QuickBooks Windows and Mac, Ladislav.

Our Product Team is still  investigating this behavior. While we're looking for a permanent fix, you have to access QuickBooks via a supported web-browsers. Check out this link to know which one you need: System requirements for QuickBooks Online, Accountant, and QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Let me know if you need anything else with QuickBooks. I'll be around o help you.

Kylie80
Level 1

Hello Quickbooks Team,

I am also dealing with this issue, using the Quickbooks app on Windows 10.

Highly frustrating when I to look up client details while in the middle of an invoice for example.

Seems like this issue has been ongoing off and on, for years now.

Is there a solution?

Adrian_A

It isn't the kind of experience that we want you to have, Kylie80.

This issue has been resolved. Since you still encounter the same, I'd recommend reaching out to our Phone Support team. This way, our agents can pull up your account, and they can open an investigation about this.

Here's how:

1. Log in to your account on a web browser.
  2. Click the ? Help icon.
  3. Scroll down and click Contact Us.
  4. Enter I'm unable to access the dashboard without the app opening new tabs.
  5. Click Continue.
  6. You can choose how you'll want to get in touch with our support.

In the meantime, we'll have to open your account on a web browser.

Also, if you want to let your customers pay their invoices online, you can send online invoices: Take and process payments in QuickBooks Online.

I'm just a post-away if there's anything that I can help. Take care!

user654321
Level 1

Can someone please post the solution. I am having the same problem. Thank you

GlinetteC

Hello, user654321. The investigation status is already closed.

You'll want to log in to your account using an incognito window to see if you can access new tabs. Please use these keyboard shortcuts:

• Google Chrome: Ctrl Shift N
  • Mozilla Firefox: Ctrl Shift P
  • Safari: Command Option P

If it works, you can switch back to the main browser and clear the cache. Otherwise, use other supported browsers as an alternative.

You may also consider reaching out to our Customer Care Support Team. They have tools to further check on this.

Please get back to this thread if you need more help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us