Do you have a recent backup to try? You can restore into a different name to experiment.
Also ensure you are running the most recent update to your program version. In the toolbar, Help and halfway down is Update (in case you do not have automatic updates turned on or it just hasn't worked)
If that doesn't work, consider UNINSTALLING and REINSTALLING from your camps.intuit login where all of your purchase history exists and from which you can download the most recent revision. Afetr reinstall you may have to browse to find your company file but rest assured, uninstall and reinstall does NOT remove your data file
Yes, many people are suddenly seeing this. It does not appear to have anything to do with your company file. When a user sees this it happens in all their files.
On another thread, customers are posting that running QuickBooks with administrator privileges makes it work again.
To do this, right click the QB icon on your desktop (or start menu) and pick Run as administrator.
Thanks for your quick reply, John.
Unfortunately, none of these have worked. I'm currently in the process of building up a network-isolated VM for further testing.
Here's what I've tried so far today:
As a precaution I use GPO to defer Windows Feature Updates for six months, so I'm still running 1909. In search results I found discussion around Windows 2004 as the culprit, but that's not the case here.
Here's my plan with the VM:
FYI while QuickBooks was still working (it won't start at all now), the auto-update dialog showed errors on several updates (15201 if I recall—those numbers are generally useless). Clicking them resulted in messages similar to "An update didn't finish" or some such thing. Naturally I ran the update manually, but the errors persisted—even for the updates that were downloaded.
Yes, I have a link to that other thread as what BigRedConsulting stated above, @InteXX.
Just go to this site: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/reports-and-accounting/account-registers-do-not-op.... Then, scroll down to the bottom of the page where customers are posting that running QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) with administrator privileges makes it work again.
Also, I'll provide further details regarding your original concern in this thread. Right now, there's an ongoing investigation about being unable to open account registers and getting an unrecoverable error when opening reports in QBDT Premier 2018. I assure you that our product engineers are actively working to have a permanent fix.
It's good to hear that running QBDT with administrator privileges works on your end since this is the recommended workaround. But I'd want to make sure you're in the loop about the investigation and its status. I recommend contacting our Customer Support Team so they can add your company to the list of affected users. You can provide the INV-49965 to our representative as your reference. Please check out our support hours before getting in touch with them. I'll guide you how.
Once done, you can go to the register to view, edit, delete, and manage all the associated transactions per account. For reports, I recommend customizing them to get the specific information you need about your business.
I'll be right here to help if you need further assistance. Keep safe always.
Hi Jay (or is it Raymond)
I appreciate you chiming in. It helps. I'll call in and get on the list (https://intuit.me/qbdt).
I'm not sure where you saw that I was able to get it working under UAC, though. I've described my troubleshooting steps above. In fact, it's so bad now that the No Company Open window triggers the crash. QuickBooks won't start at all, elevated or not.
I've been able to jump through some hoops to get it up and limping using this setup, but of course it's far from ideal.
Unfortunately, it's looking like it'll be a permanent solution. I won't have access to the latest version that'll include the fix, and manually applying the web patch is failing. The installer I have is stuck on R5, which is the release that's failing right now. As mentioned previously, I can't even get to the updates dialog.
It's a Catch-22.
I'll look at that other page you linked to, thanks.
I've been working with this COA corruption since last weekend, when I couldn't access the COA listing of a client's file on their server. After 18 hours of chat/research Monday, I discovered Tuesday AM that this corruption was not my application/hardware, but a company-wide situation involving, as of today, Microsoft and QuickBooks. Apparently, an MS update overnight Friday broke the connection between QB & the MS database OS apps running in the background for QB stability/performance.
While launching QB desktop with elevated credentials does work IF your database file is on your local system (notebook, desktop, etc.), this protocol is not successful if the data file is located on a server. I've spent hours attempting to make a server data file function correctly (severe performance issues) and, ultimately, was forced to back up the server data file to my local system, then deploy the backup to a fully functioning .QBW file. Only then did the elevated credentials allow me to work within the QB data file seamlessly.
I operate all my computer systems in a limited user environment, a protocol encouraged by an IT engineer years ago. While working in a fully elevated admin user account will allow this "corrupted" QuickBooks engine to function, I prefer not to expose my systems to malicious infiltration.
Hoping Intuit & Microsoft can finalize a patch in the next 24 hours. Thanks for moderating this thread.