When you change your email preferences in QuickBooks (Edit > Preferences > Send Forms > My Preferences), Outlook is not showing as an option. This may be caused by any of the following:
- You are using an older Click-to-Run (CTR) version of Microsoft Office, such as 2010. Microsoft Office CTR is a way of delivering and updating Microsoft Office to broadband customers using Microsoft virtualizing and streaming technologies. Older Click-to-Run versions of Microsoft Office do not support some integration options for programs like QuickBooks Desktop. For best compatibility, make sure you are using a current version of QuickBooks Desktop and Office Click-to-Run 2016.
- Your profile is not set up in Microsoft Outlook.
- Outlook is not the default email program.
- Outlook is not selected as the preferred email program in Internet Explorer.
- Your QuickBooks is hosted on the Cloud and your service provider does not have Office installed as a hosted application.
There are several solutions to this issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
Important: Intuit does not support Microsoft applications. If you are uncomfortable performing these tasks, we recommend having an IT professional you have confidence in to do this for you. Some potential risks are:
Fix missing Outlook in Send Forms Preferences
Before proceeding, make sure you're on the latest version of QuickBooks.
Solution 1: Ensure your Outlook version is supported
Verify that your Outlook is compatible with the version of your QuickBooks Desktop.
- Verify the version of Outlook
- Verify the compatible version of Outlook based on the version of QuickBooks Desktop
Solution 2: Make Outlook the default email program
- Go to the File tab, then select Options.
- Under Startup options, select Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar.
Outlook 2007 and earlier
- Select Tools then Options and then the Other tab.
- Under the General settings, select Make Outlook the default program for Email.
If you have multiple Outlook profiles, Outlook may ask you to select a profile every time you start up. If a profile is not selected as a default, QuickBooks will not see Outlook. When starting Outlook, choose a profile, then check set as default.
Solution 3: Set the default email program in Internet Explorer
Note: Before you begin, make sure you have Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, or Microsoft Mail. You should also be able to send and receive email from that profile.
- In Internet Explorer, select Tools then Internet Options.
- Select the Program Tab.
- Follow the instructions for your version of Internet Explorer: For Internet Explorer 9.0, 8.0 and 7.0
- At the bottom of the window, select Set Programs then Set your default programs.
- Choose your email application.
- Select Set this program as default, then OK.
- Select Set program access and computer defaults.
- Choose Microsoft Windows.
- From the drop-down arrow, select Use my current Microsoft e-mail program, then OK.
For Internet Explorer 6.0:
- Close and then reopen Internet Explorer.
- Select Tools then Internet Options, then select the Programs tab.
- In Internet Programs, select Outlook as the Email program, then OK.
- In QuickBooks, go to the Edit menu select Preferences.
- Select Send Forms, then select the My Preferences tab.
- In the Send email using section, select your email program.
Solution 4: Edit the Mail Profile settings in Windows
- Close QuickBooks.
- Go to the Windows Start button, then open the Control Panel.
- In the Search Control Panel field on the top left, enter Mail, then select Mail in the results screen.
- In the Mail Setup window, select Show Profiles.
- Select Always use this profile, then select OK.
- Open QuickBooks and try to set it to use Outlook for email.
Solution 5: Edit the WIN.INI file in Windows
The WIN.INI file is a Windows file that holds some system settings, including those used for email.IMPORTANT: Deleting or editing the file incorrectly can cause other problems in your system, therefore it is recommended that these steps only be tried by an IT professional.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard (or select the Windows Start button) and type C:\Windows\, then press Enter.
- Right-click the WIN.INI file, select Copy, and paste the file to a separate location as a backup.
- Go back to the C:\Windows folder and open the WIN.INI file.
- The file will have several section headings. Find the one that says [Mail].
- If there is no [Mail] section, add it to the end of the file along with the text below.
- If the [Mail] section is there, but the text below is not under that section, please add it.
[MAIL] MAPI=1 MAPIX=1
Note: If you are unable to edit the WIN.INI file due to Windows user access permissions, please log in as the Windows Administrator user and try again.
- After editing the file, save and close it.
- Restart QuickBooks.
- In QuickBooks, from the Edit menu, select Preferences, and check the Send Forms preferences. Outlook should now be an option.
If this does not resolve the issue, edit the WIN.INI again and remove the text that was added, or replace the file with the copy that was saved earlier.
Solution 6: Run Detect and Repair in Outlook
This article by Microsoft Office will guide you in detecting and repairing possible issues with Outlook 2007 and later versions.
Note: Office 2013 is supported with QuickBooks 2017 or later versions. You may need to try solutions 1 and 2 again after you repair Outlook.
Solution 7: Uninstall and reinstall Office and QuickBooks
Uninstall and reinstall both Office and QuickBooks in this order:
- Uninstall Quickbooks.
- Uninstall Office.
- Reinstall Office.
- Reinstall QuickBooks.
Solution 8: Resolve with Microsoft
Warning: This process is intended for a system administrator. This process includes editing the registry, which, if not done correctly could result in serious damage to your device.
If the issue remains unresolved, the Outlook registry key may be damaged. This Microsoft article includes steps for editing the registry that your system administrator or trusted IT professional can use to resolve the problem.
Notes for Mozilla Thunderbird:
- Mozilla Thunderbird is only supported in QuickBooks 2017 and later. Alternate email options are available through Webmail. Please see: Set up your email service in QuickBooks Desktop for more information.