If the opening balance for one of your accounts is wrong, you can edit it through the View register for the account.
To edit a wrong opening balance:
- Go to Settings ⚙️, then select Chart of Accounts.
- Locate the account, then go to the Action column and select View register.
- Find the opening balance entry. Tip: If you've got the Date column sorted from newest to oldest, the opening balance entry may be at the end of the list.
- Select the opening balance entry.
- Edit the amount. Tip: If you're not able to edit the amount directly on this screen, in some cases you can edit by selecting the Edit ✎ icon.
- Select Save. Your change will not be saved if you navigate away from the register without saving.
If there isn't already an opening balance listed and you want to enter one, see How to enter an opening balance for an existing account.
If you're trying to edit an opening balance when reconciling an account in QuickBooks Online with your bank or credit card statement, see Fix an opening balance to match a bank statement.