Learn how to create an invoice in QuickBooks Online.
You use an invoice to bill your customer for the products or services you've provided. It also tracks your Accounts Receivable or the money your customer owes you. Here's a quick guide on how to create an invoice.
Create an invoice
- Select the + New button.
- Select Invoice.
- From the Customer ▼ drop-down, choose the name of your customer. Verify the other information as well.
- From the Terms ▼ drop-down, choose the term when you expect the payment from your customer.
- Check the Invoice date and the Due date. Note: By default, the Due date is set to 30 days from the Invoice date, but you can change either date if needed.
- Under the Product/Service column, select the item or service that is being billed, then complete the rest of the fields as needed. Some fields, such as tax rate, may be required.
- Select Save or Save and close.
Once you save or preview the invoice, even if you don't send or print it, the transaction information from the invoice you created will be included in reports and in the customer balance.
Receive payments on invoice
When your customer pays the invoice, you can record the payment by opening the invoice, selecting the Receive payment, and entering payment information. You can also record the payment from the Customer or Sales Transactions pages.