Recording your payables in QuickBooks Desktop is easy with Enter Bills. You can readily record transactions that you will pay at a future date, including expenses incurred, materials purchased, or services provided by a vendor.
- On the Home page, select Enter Bills.
- Select the vendor.
- Choose the date.Note: Bill Due date is automatically populated based on your Bill preference (Select Edit then Preferences then Bills and then Company Preferences).
- Select the appropriate tab.
- Expense: if you are recording a bill for expenses incurred by the business (ex. Utilities, Rent, and phone/cable service).
- Items: if you are entering a bill for anything that your company buys, sells, or resells in the course of business such as products, shipping and handling charges, discounts, and sales tax (if applicable).
- Choose the expense account or the item.
- Enter the amount.
- If you are tracking billable expenses, select the customer job and put a check mark in the Billable column.
- Select Save & Close.
Entering bills is part of your usual A/P workflow in QuickBooks Desktop. To see the complete list of workflows and other vendor-related transactions, refer to Accounts Payable workflows.