QuickBooks payments account processing is available from within QuickBooks Desktop, for supported versions linked to a properly configured payments account.
There are two ways to process a credit card in QuickBooks:
- Receive Payment: applies to QuickBooks customers when invoices are used to provide products or services.
- Enter Sales Receipt: applies to sales of products or services where no invoice is used.
Record and process credit card payment
Follow these steps to complete a transaction using the Receive Payment or Enter Sales Receipt window.
Note: When using Jobs with a Receive Payment and a stored credit card number, only the credit card listed for the actual Customer will be available. Although the subordinate Job(s) will allow a different card number to be entered, it will not appear when an actual credit card charge is processed for the Customer of that Job.
- Log in to the QuickBooks Desktop Company file linked to a working payments account.
- From the Customers menu, select Receive Payments (or Create Sales Receipts).
- When the payment window appears (Customer Payment or Sales Receipt), complete the customer/order information as expected. However, be careful to accurately submit the following items for proper credit card processing (if a supported USB card reader is attached, select the Swipe Card button in either of these windows):
- Payment Method (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover) Note: Process Payment box must be checked when saving.
- Card Number/Expiration Date
- Amount of transaction
- When finished, select the Process Payment button.Note: For Customer Payments that do not have an open invoice, a pop-up warning will appear notifying you of an overpayment. Choose OK to continue and a credit in the amount processed will appear for that customer when completed.
- Select Save & Close to complete the process.
Determine where the received payments are posted to
To check where the received payments are being posted to:
- From the top left of QuickBooks, select Edit and choose Preferences.
- On the Preferences window, select Payments and choose the Company Preferences tab
- Check if Use Undeposited Funds as a default deposit to account is checked or not.If it is, the payments are going to the Undeposited Funds account. If it isn't, the payments are automatically being posted to the bank account.
Note: Since approved funds are typically deposited into your existing bank account within 2 to 3 business days, we recommend using Undeposited Funds to hold payments, until they're ready to be deposited. To know more about Undeposited Funds, check out Understand how the undeposited funds account works.