Learn how to fix "Could not connect to the email server" error when using web mail in QuickBooks Desktop.
After you enter your email password, you get the following error message:
Couldn't Connect to Email Server We were unable to connect to the email server for your email provider
QuickBooks was unable to send your form for the following reason: QuickBooks was able to connect to the remote server but could not understand the server's response. Please try again to see if the problem has been corrected on the server. If the problem persists, contact QuickBooks Technical Support.
This error has been seen mostly on a Yahoo email address.
Intuit recommends more than one solution for this problem. The first solution may solve your problem, or you may need to try all of them to resolve the issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
Solution 1: Update to the latest release
This issue has been resolved in the latest release of QuickBooks Desktop 2017.
- Go to the Update to the Latest Release page.
- Make sure your product is selected. If not, go to the Change link and select your QuickBooks product.
- Select the Update button to download the update file.
- Select Setup Automatic Updates to learn how to set QuickBooks to automatically download and install the latest updates.
Solution 2: Check the settings in the web mail preferences
- From the QuickBooks Edit menu, select Preferences.
- On the left pane, choose Send Forms.
- Under My Preferences, select the email account you are using, then select Edit.
- In the Edit Email Info screen go to the SMTP Server Details section and set the server name and port to your email provider settings. Refer to Set up your email service in QuickBooks Desktop for a list of SMTP Server and Ports.
Solution 3: Reset Internet Explorer Settings to default
- Open Internet Explorer (IE), and select the Tools menu (Alt +T) or the gear icon.
- Select Internet Options.
- Go to the Advanced tab, then Restore Advanced Settings.
- Select OK, then close the browser.
If you determine that your antivirus is blocking outgoing emails, it is best to consult an IT professional or contact your anti-virus provider to help allow QuickBooks to connect when setting up your web mail.
If you still get the error message after trying all three solutions, you may want to perform the suggested solution in the error message.
|You are not connected to the internet or your firewall is blocking the connection||Try to open Internet Explorer and access a web site.|
|Your email server settings are incorrect||Verify you have the correct settings by following the steps outlined in Solution 2.|
|You entered an incorrect email address or password||Log in to your email account through a web browser and check if your email address and password works.|
If you are getting this error message although you do not use web email this could be a system issue. Try to create a new Windows admin user to resolve the issue. Refer to Add, edit or create Windows users with Admin rights to allow configuration for detailed steps.