Handle invoices you can't collect with the Write Off Invoices tool. QuickBooks automatically applies discounts to zero-out bad invoices, and then posts them to your write-off account. This balances both your Accounts Receivable and expense accounts.
Tip: Your clients can manually write off their bad invoices.
- Go to Accountant Tools and select Write off invoices.
- Set the Invoice Age, To date, and Balance less than filters.
- Select Find invoices.
- Review the name in the Customer column.
- Select the checkboxes for the invoices you want to write off.
- Select Write off.
- In the Account ▼dropdown, select the account you use for bad debts.
- Select Apply.
Note: You don’t need to enter your closing date password if you’re writing off invoices dated before your closing date.